G2 Representation Theory: A Simple Question on Symmetry & Dual Groups

• Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
Otherwise, I don't understand what you're trying to say.In summary, there was a discussion about representation theory and group theory, specifically focusing on the 3d root system of g2. It was mentioned that this root system looks similar to a dodecahedron inscribed in a cube, and there was speculation about whether g2 can be broken up into the symmetries of a cube and a dodecahedron. The conversation also touched on the concept of duality between the octahedron and the cube.
Jim Kata
I really don't know that much representation theory or group theory.

I was looking at Garrett lisi's presentation, and I was looking at the 3d root system of g2. It struck me that it looked similar to a dodecahedron inscribed in a cube. Now, I do know that the dodecahedron group, and the cube group are dual. Can g2 be broken up into the symmetries of a cube, and a dodecahedron?

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant dual Octahedron is dual to the cube. sorry

The Root System G_2

Jim Kata said:
I was looking at Garrett Lisi's presentation, and I was looking at the 3d root system of g2.

Unless I misunderstand what you are talking about, I think you mean 2d; see James E. Humphreys, Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory, Springer, 1972, Fig. 1 on p. 44, for a picture of the root system [itex]G_2[/itex].

1. What does "g2" mean?

"g2" is a term used in mathematics and physics to represent the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. Is g2 the same as acceleration?

Yes, g2 and acceleration are both measures of how quickly an object's velocity changes over time. However, g2 specifically refers to the acceleration due to gravity, while acceleration can refer to any change in velocity.

3. How is g2 calculated?

g2 is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on an object by its mass. This can be expressed as g2 = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object.

4. Why is g2 important?

g2 is important because it helps us understand the effects of gravity on objects, such as why objects fall to the ground and why planets orbit around the sun. It also plays a crucial role in many mathematical and physical equations.

5. Does g2 have the same value everywhere on Earth?

No, g2 can vary slightly depending on location due to factors such as altitude and the density of the Earth's crust. However, on average, g2 is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth's surface.