Predicting Contact Surface of Pressurized Balloons: Energy Minimization Method

In summary, the conversation discusses an optimization problem involving two differently pressurized balloons being pushed together. The contact surface between the two balloons is dependent on factors such as elasticity, gas compressibility, and applied force. It is suggested that the contact surface may resemble a bowl shape, with the center pushed towards the lower pressure balloon. However, experimentation is needed to confirm this hypothesis as the situation may change when a second balloon comes into contact. The conversation also mentions the balancing of outward forces due to the higher pressure and atmospheric pressure.
ice109
let's suppose i have two differently pressurized balloons and i push them together. how can i predict what that contact surface will look like? to make this simpler let's say i have two disjoint hemispheres which contain a pressurized gas each, again at different pressures, and i push them together. how do i predict what that contact surface looks like?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Its an optimization problem. Sounds like it would be a fun problem to solve, but incredibly annoying to set up. You would have to take into account the balloons' respective elasticity, whether or not the gasses are equally as compressible, how the balloons themselves deform--

And remember, if you push two spheres together, you're exerting a force to push them together, so the sphere deforms on both sides.

You could guess however, depending on the size and pressures involved of these balloons, and assuming that they're spheres--that intuitively the first thing that comes to mind is that the contact surface will be shaped like a circle with the center pushed towards the LOWER pressure balloon (so it looks like a bowl on its side--bottom facing the lower pressure side.

experiment is needed to be done for this

air inside balloons is at higher pressure...this outward force is balanced by force due to elasticity of it and atomspheric pressure ...
when another balloon comes in contact with other balloon, situation changes..outward force due to that is to be considered..
one balloon might look a little flat and other a little bulging out..

1. What is the purpose of predicting the contact surface of pressurized balloons?

The purpose of predicting the contact surface of pressurized balloons is to determine the optimal shape and size of the balloon in order to minimize energy consumption and maintain structural integrity. This can help improve the efficiency and safety of balloon-based technologies such as weather balloons, hot air balloons, and inflatable structures.

2. How is the energy minimization method used to predict the contact surface of pressurized balloons?

The energy minimization method uses mathematical algorithms and simulations to calculate the minimum energy required to maintain the shape and volume of a pressurized balloon. By minimizing the energy, the optimal shape and size of the contact surface can be determined.

3. What factors are considered in predicting the contact surface of pressurized balloons?

Factors such as the material properties of the balloon, internal pressure, external forces, and environmental conditions are taken into account when predicting the contact surface of pressurized balloons. Other considerations may include the shape and size of the balloon, as well as any additional components attached to it.

4. How accurate are the predictions of the contact surface using the energy minimization method?

The accuracy of the predictions depends on the complexity of the balloon's shape and the accuracy of the input parameters used in the simulation. In general, the energy minimization method has been found to be a reliable and efficient way to predict the contact surface of pressurized balloons.

5. Are there any limitations to using the energy minimization method for predicting the contact surface of pressurized balloons?

Some limitations of the energy minimization method include its sensitivity to input parameters and the assumption of a perfect, homogeneous material. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for predicting the contact surface of highly irregular or flexible balloons. Other methods, such as finite element analysis, may be more appropriate in these cases.