Finding a parabola given two x intercepts

• Thread starter revoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, it is possible to find the equation of a parabola given two x-intercepts, but only for a general parabola and not a specific one. In order to determine a specific parabola, three points are needed. Simply having the roots is not enough information. The line of symmetry can help determine the y-value of the vertex, but there are still an infinite number of parabolas that can have the same roots. Trying different values for a and b will result in different parabolas.
revoz
If you are given (5,0) and (-1,0) as the two x intercepts of a parabola is it possible to find the equation of the parabola? I have tried using the vertex formula for the x co-ordinate which is x = 2 the line of symmetry and plugging in either of these co-ordinates into y = ax^2 + bx + c but have too many unknowns to solve for. Is this unsolvable with only this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is possible only if you are looking for a general parabola; NOT for a specific one. In fact, you need THREE points to establish a specific parabola.

Only being given the roots of the parabola isn't sufficient enough to compile a specific parabola from it. There are an infinite number of parabolas having those 2 roots, all having different "steepness" and concavity.

e.g.

[tex]y=(x-5)(x+1)[/tex]
[tex]y=2(5-x)(3x+3)[/tex]

etc.

Thanks. I suppose if I tried different values for a and b I would come up with different parabolas. Wasn't sure if there was some way with the line of symmetry to determine the y value of the vertex but I realize that there are different options with only two points. Thanks again.

1. What are the two x-intercepts of a parabola?

The x-intercepts of a parabola are the points at which the parabola intersects the x-axis, or where the y-coordinate is equal to 0.

2. How do you find the equation of a parabola given two x-intercepts?

To find the equation of a parabola given two x-intercepts, you can use the factored form of the equation: y = a(x - x1)(x - x2), where x1 and x2 are the x-intercepts and a is a constant.

3. Can a parabola have two x-intercepts with the same y-coordinate?

No, a parabola can only have two x-intercepts with different y-coordinates. If the x-intercepts have the same y-coordinate, the parabola would be a straight line instead.

4. What if one of the x-intercepts is negative and the other is positive?

In this case, the parabola would open downwards or have a negative coefficient for the squared term in the equation. This would result in a parabola that curves downwards, intersecting the x-axis at the negative x-intercept and the positive x-intercept.

5. How can I graph a parabola given two x-intercepts?

To graph a parabola given two x-intercepts, you can plot the two points on a coordinate plane and then draw a smooth curve passing through the points. You can also use the equation of the parabola to find additional points and create a more accurate graph.