Determining Maximum bending moment via shear force diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the shear force diagram for a bar with external moments. The easiest method is to draw the shear force diagram and determine external reactions first. The shear force plot is unaffected by externally applied moments. However, the final section of the diagram may have a different value due to the external moment of 35. The conversation also mentions equations for M and V in different sections of the bar.
Tom McCurdy

Homework Statement

http://imagebin.ca/img/uzuDsi.jpg [Broken]

and by maximum it means in magnitude

Homework Equations

I figured the best (easiest/quickest) method would be to draw the shear force diagram.

When I originally did this problem I came up with equations for M and V by dividing the bar into sections from the right until the last section in which I took the section from the right to include the external moment for the M equation. I am not sure how to figure out V for the last section though.

V=
0<x<2 V=40-10x V facing down and M going counterclockwise
2<x<5 V= -5 V facing down and M going counterclockwise
5<x<7 V= -15 V facing down and M going counterclockwise
7<x<10 V=-10 facing up and M going counterclockwise
The part I am not sure about is how the external moment of 35 comes into play in the last section.

I feel like it would be incorrect to say V = 10 for the last section?

What would the final shear force plot look like?
How do I finish this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your picture is not showing up. Be sure to determine external reactions first. When you plot a shear diagram, the diagram is unaffected by externally applied moments.

PhanthomJay said:
Your picture is not showing up.

I found it … http://imagebin.ca/img/uzuDsi.jpg" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of determining maximum bending moment via shear force diagram?

The purpose of determining maximum bending moment via shear force diagram is to analyze and understand the internal forces and moments acting on a structure, which is crucial in designing and constructing safe and efficient structures.

2. How is the maximum bending moment determined from a shear force diagram?

The maximum bending moment is determined by locating the point on the shear force diagram where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa. The corresponding value on the horizontal axis is the maximum bending moment.

3. What factors affect the maximum bending moment on a structure?

The maximum bending moment is affected by the type of load applied, the location and magnitude of the load, and the geometry and material properties of the structure.

4. Can the maximum bending moment be different at different points along a structure?

Yes, the maximum bending moment can vary at different points along a structure, depending on the distribution of loads and the structural properties at each point.

5. What are the implications of a high maximum bending moment on a structure?

A high maximum bending moment can result in excessive stress and potentially lead to structural failure. This is why it is important to accurately determine and consider the maximum bending moment in the design and construction of a structure.