Understanding Nuclides: Exploring the Differences Between Atoms and Nuclides

• Thread starter jimmyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary: Nuclides refers to a species of atom characterized by the constitution of its nucleus and hence by the number of protons, the number of neutrons, and the energy content.
jimmyy
Hello,

I'm fairly new with the nuclear physics, but I'm willing to study and learn as much as possible.

I've been reading on wikipedia about the nuclides, but I couldn't understand what is the difference between an atom and a nuclide?

On wikipedia they say that a nuclide is a species of atom, but what is the difference then?

I can understand isotopoes, isobars, isotones, but I do not get the nuclides...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

A nuclide is specified by its nucleus, an Oxogen atoms nucleus can for instance have different neutron content, so in this case the nuclide is called isotope. Atom is nuclide + electrons.

A nuclide refers to a species of atom characterized by the constitution of its nucleus and hence by the number of protons, the number of neutrons, and the energy content.

See chart of nuclides - http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

Zoom 1 (click on the 1 after clicking the cursor on any part of the chart) goes to the details on the atom

malawi_glenn said:
A nuclide is specified by its nucleus, an Oxogen atoms nucleus can for instance have different neutron content, so in this case the nuclide is called isotope. Atom is nuclide + electrons.

Thank you malawi but I thought that nucleons where neoutrons + protons, and then nucleons + electrons = atoms

As I said isotopes I understand, they are related to the same chemical element.

I also understand that nuclide is a more general concept that includes isotopes, but I can't yet grasp it, as for example isotones, they have only a constant neutron number, thus the chemical element can vary, therefore for me, the nuclide concept is too broad, meaning it can be anything, any chemical element, in any combination of protons+neutron+electrons

Thank for your answers!

look at the chart of the nuclides which astronuc gave you - those are the NUCLIDES: all possible combinations of neutrons and protons which are found in nature. All nucleids with the same Z are called isotopes, and with same Z + N = A are called isobars and so on.

It is not a too broad concept, it is like "fishes" -> You have different kinds of fishes..

Malawi can you give an example of non-nuclide?
I mean what is outside of the nuclide scope?

jimmyy said:
I mean what is outside of the nuclide scope?

in terms of protons and neutrons, nothing!

malawi_glenn said:
NUCLIDES: all possible combinations of neutrons and protons (which are found in nature.)

Than would you agree with me in saying that nuclides sounds more like all living creatures, not only fish :), and than you have variations on the same species of animals (isotopes where the chemical element is the same, but the neutrons differ...)

What is the difference between nuclides and atoms, can they be used interchangeably?

I meant that fishes has different families and species...maybe you didn't know that ;-)

Atom as electrons, an atom is nucleus + electrons.

1. What is a nuclide?

A nuclide is a species of atom that is characterized by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. It is identified by its atomic number (number of protons) and mass number (number of protons + neutrons).

2. How is a nuclide different from an isotope?

A nuclide refers to a specific type of atom, while an isotope refers to different forms of the same element with varying numbers of neutrons. Essentially, all nuclides are isotopes, but not all isotopes are nuclides.

3. Can nuclides exist in different energy states?

Yes, nuclides can exist in different energy states. These energy states are related to the arrangement of electrons around the nucleus and can affect the stability and reactivity of the nuclide.

4. How are nuclides formed?

Nuclides are formed through nuclear reactions, such as fusion or fission, in which the nucleus of an atom is altered. They can also be created through radioactive decay, in which a nucleus spontaneously releases particles or energy to become more stable.

5. Are all nuclides stable?

No, not all nuclides are stable. Some nuclides have an imbalance of protons and neutrons in their nucleus, making them unstable and likely to undergo radioactive decay to become more stable.