Why is my internet so slow? Is it just me or are others experiencing this too?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the internet has been getting slower over time and things have taken longer to load. Google is having some issues and might need a bandwidth bailout.
Cyrus
I've noticed the internet is getting slow over time. Anything takes forever to load and things time out.

Google:
Oops! This link appears broken.
DNS error - cannot find server.

Even my laptop is doing this!? I have Verizon FIOS internet, so this shouldn't happen. I don't know why the hell my internet is so slow. Is this something others experience too?

If I test my internet speed here:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

it says:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4598 kbps (574.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1850 kbps (231.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's been bad recently. I should look into why. It could be that backbone providers are closing routes to cut costs, causing congestion.

I mean, things like GOOGLE are SOOOOO SLOW. I have to constantly reload web pages until they finally work!

Evo said:
Yes, it's been bad recently. I should look into why. It could be that backbone providers are closing routes to cut costs, causing congestion.

Oh noes! The Intertubes can haz bail-out, pls?
I need my LOLcats served up fast!

Does anyone know what a normal speed should be? Which one of the speed testing sites should I use to test mine out?

mcknia07 said:
Does anyone know what a normal speed should be? Which one of the speed testing sites should I use to test mine out?

Use the one closest to where you live.

It says that my download speed is 21852 kbps and my upload speed is 700 kbps. Is that good or bad?

mcknia07 said:
It says that my download speed is 21852 kbps and my upload speed is 700 kbps. Is that good or bad?

Yes.

Mine is (CSprings to Chicago):

Download Speed: 5221 kbps (652.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5594 kbps (699.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings to Dallas)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 5513 kbps (689.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5319 kbps (664.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

(Csprings to DC)
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3535 kbps (441.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5588 kbps (698.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings-Atlanta)
Last Result:
Download Speed: 4710 kbps (588.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5607 kbps (700.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

(CSprings-NY)
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3314 kbps (414.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5568 kbps (696 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download speed is usually more important to the average person than upload speed since you read stuff on the internet a lot more often than you post stuff. If they still had Napster, people would love me.

Last edited:
mcknia07 said:

If out of every 1 minute of usual internet surfing you spend like only 5 seconds waiting then it is good.

My current internet is like 5 times slower but don't play online games or watch high quality videos.

I use this software to monitor my internet usage.
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/manual/
It tells the speed and other internet usage statistics.

Are you sure that you don't have any adware, spyware or virus on the computer? If you noticed a sudden drop in speed then that's the most likely reason.

The second reason is that your ISP is has issues, and is robbing you of the bandwidth. But if google takes forever to load that would be unlikely.

My download is pretty constant at 5200, and upload varies with distance from test server between 1075 and 1855.

So why has PF been slow?

Just think slower, so the innerwebs will be able to keep up.

who is your ISP? I'm on charter and everything seems fine.

http://technologizer.com/2009/01/28/does-the-internet-feel-slow-googles-m-lab-wants-to-help/

With companies such as Comcast (which prompted an FCC investigation) and Cox Communications prioritizing network traffic, this is good news for consumers and consumer advocacy groups. M-Labs could be a valuable research to help detect bandwidth throttling and let people confirm that they are truly getting what they are paying for.

I have Verizon FIOS. I also have a wireless network in my house, so that would be one more thing to slow things down, but it wasnt slow like this in the past, and my download speed isn't that slow. But I *constantly* have to hit refresh because pictures won't load and have a red x inside them. When I google image, I hit remove frame, and it takes FOR-EVER to reload the page w/o the google frame.

I think maybe its google? Facebook is also slow as hell.

Cyrus said:
I have Verizon FIOS. I also have a wireless network in my house, so that would be one more thing to slow things down, but it wasnt slow like this in the past, and my download speed isn't that slow.

I was thinking that it could be the possibility that someone has started using your network if your network is unsecure.

Well, I live in the suburbs. I think you wouldn't get my signal unless you parked a van outside the font of my house (And still, that would probably be a very low signal). Plus, the network has a password. If I do a site survey, I can only detect my own network, not any of my neighboors.

Cyrus said:
I have Verizon FIOS. I also have a wireless network in my house, so that would be one more thing to slow things down, but it wasnt slow like this in the past, and my download speed isn't that slow. But I *constantly* have to hit refresh because pictures won't load and have a red x inside them. When I google image, I hit remove frame, and it takes FOR-EVER to reload the page w/o the google frame.

I think maybe its google? Facebook is also slow as hell.

sometimes my wireless just needs a reboot. other times, there may be an object interfering with the signal. i get best reception when i have a line of sight to the antenna, and something like a glass of water in the way can really ruin my night.

Proton Soup said:
sometimes my wireless just needs a reboot. other times, there may be an object interfering with the signal. i get best reception when i have a line of sight to the antenna, and something like a glass of water in the way can really ruin my night.

That's a great idea. I'm going to go down to the basement and reboot the main router. It's on 24-7 and never gets turned off.

Cyrus said:
Well, I live in the suburbs. I think you wouldn't get my signal unless you parked a van outside the font of my house (And still, that would probably be a very low signal). Plus, the network has a password. If I do a site survey, I can only detect my own network, not any of my neighboors.

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooray! Rebooting the main router really worked wonders!

We have to reboot sometimes. Turning it off then back on allows it to finish downloading things from the main server.

mcknia07 said:

Jesus christ, how the hell is your internet 21852? That's insanely fast :eek:

(5 times faster than my Verizon FIOS!)

Yep. I reboot my wireless router/access points when things slow down. Does the trick.

I'm getting 3400 down, 500 up. I thought I was doing well. Boo.

Cyrus said:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 4598 kbps (574.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
That's only marginally slower than what you had at school.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=227162
cyrus said:
Im at school, my download speed is 5502Kps, upload 5140kps.

Cyrus said:

(5 times faster than my Verizon FIOS!)

hahaha, I have no clue how it's that fast. We have Time Warner. And we have a wireless router, too.

:cry:

741 kbps download and 130 kbps upload.
Mine is geriatric compared with all your download and upload speeds.
That's not supposed to happen with DSL...why??!
It sounds like it's slow, but I don't have to reload pages that often. (and definitely not google)

My FIOS also carries the signal for my Cable television on it. I wonder if it's slower when the TV's are on?

Cyrus said:
My FIOS also carries the signal for my Cable television on it. I wonder if it's slower when the TV's are on?

I don't think it should. Ours is connected to the cable too, and it still has the same good spped.

Cyrus said:
I've noticed the internet is getting slow over time. Anything takes forever to load and things time out.
So pull over to the right, and let the faster traffic through. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:

That's because all your neighbors are just leaching off of you :p

Office_Shredder said:
That's because all your neighbors are just leaching off of you :p

...and this guy. DAMN YOU MARK ERIKSON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8Wi7XRXCA

lisab said:
Just think slower, so the innerwebs will be able to keep up.

Ah, So it's that spider in my computor :rolleyes:

There seems to be a lot of junk, including advertisments, on the internet.

I was looking at a page on Yahoo and one of the ADVERTISEMENTS didn't show, or rather wouldn't load.

In it's place was the typical message I get when a page doesn't load.

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

Other options to try:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
No - I am not going to adjust my browser settings, I'm not going to click Tools, I'm not going to refresh or try again later. I'm going to enjoy the fact that the advertisement is not there.

I don't want obnoxious advertisments for shtuff I don't want. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:

It's independent.

In fact I think FIOS has a premium service that is double the normal transfer rate, which means that for more money they won't throttle your service back.

Cyrus said:
Is this using SpeakEasy? Because we might be talking apples & oranges.

My network connection says it's getting 11.0Mbps, but that's just my router, I'm still only getting 3.5Mbps externally.