Bridge parabola word problem

In summary: So the width of the passage would need to be 1050 + 280 = 1360. If you want to use y= -x2 then the bases of the support are at (525, 350) and (525, -350) and you would need, to allow the tanker to pass, to solve y=-x2= -280. So the width of the passage would need to be 1050 - 280 = -530. In summary, the width of the passage can be either 530 or 1360.
SAC2009

Homework Statement

1. It is a word problem I need done by tomorrow morning. so please help:
A new bridge is being constructed. The space between the support needs to be 1050 feet; the height at the center of the arch needs to be 350 feet. An empty tanker needs a 280 foot clearance to pass beneath it.
a) find the equation of a parabola with these characteristics. Place the vertex at the origin.
b) How wide is the channel that the tanker can pass through?
c) If the river were to flood and rise 10 feet, how would the clearance of the bridge be affected?

Homework Equations

The equation for a vertical parabola is y=a(x-h)squared + k

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting the vertex at (0,0) and plugging in (525,350) to get the a value. I don't know if this is anywhere close to what I was supposed to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I find the equation
y = A (x - p)(x - q)
more useful, when you know where the parabola has to be zero.
Do you see why?

SAC2009 said:

Homework Statement

1. It is a word problem I need done by tomorrow morning. so please help:
A new bridge is being constructed. The space between the support needs to be 1050 feet; the height at the center of the arch needs to be 350 feet. An empty tanker needs a 280 foot clearance to pass beneath it.
a) find the equation of a parabola with these characteristics. Place the vertex at the origin.
b) How wide is the channel that the tanker can pass through?
c) If the river were to flood and rise 10 feet, how would the clearance of the bridge be affected?

Homework Equations

The equation for a vertical parabola is y=a(x-h)squared + k
And if you Place the vertex at the origin, y(x)= ax2+ k. "The space between the support needs to be 1050 feet" so y(1050/2)= y(525)= 0 (NOT "526,350). "the height at the center of the arch needs to be 350 feet" so y(0)= 350. That is enough to find a and k.
In order for the tanker to pass through, the height must be at least 280 feet. What values of x make y= 280?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting the vertex at (0,0) and plugging in (525,350) to get the a value. I don't know if this is anywhere close to what I was supposed to do.

I thought that if the vertex was at the origin (0,0) that the equation would be y=axsquared, because the vertex is (h,k). I keep getting an extremely small number for k, which wouldn't work because then the width at that point would be way too small.

sorry, i meant an extremely small number for a

You are right. I put the origin at (0, 350).

Now, either y= kx2 or y= -x2 depending on whether you want the parabola opening upward or downward. The second would better represent a support for a bridge but, mathematically, either way works.

If you want to use y= kx2 then the bases of the support are at (525, 350) and (-525, 350) and you would need, to allow the tanker to pass, to solve y= x2= 280.

1. What is a bridge parabola word problem?

A bridge parabola word problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the equation of a parabola that represents the shape of a bridge. It typically involves using the dimensions and coordinates of the bridge to create a quadratic equation.

2. How do I solve a bridge parabola word problem?

To solve a bridge parabola word problem, you will need to follow a few steps. First, you will need to identify the coordinates of the bridge's supports and the highest point of the bridge. Then, you can use these points to create a system of equations and solve for the variables. Finally, you can plug in the values to find the equation of the parabola.

3. What are the real-life applications of bridge parabola word problems?

Bridge parabola word problems have practical applications in civil engineering, especially in the design and construction of bridges. By solving these problems, engineers can determine the best shape and dimensions for a bridge to ensure its stability and structural integrity.

4. What mathematical concepts are involved in bridge parabola word problems?

Bridge parabola word problems involve several mathematical concepts, including quadratic equations, coordinate geometry, and algebra. These problems require you to use your knowledge of these concepts to find the equation of the parabola.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving bridge parabola word problems?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving bridge parabola word problems, it is helpful to have a strong understanding of quadratic equations and coordinate geometry. Additionally, it is essential to carefully read the problem and identify the given information before attempting to solve it.