True, false questions about matrices

• Thread starter lukaszh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with true/false questions about matrices. The first question asks if a hermitian matrix implies that the real matrices B and C are anti-symmetric. The answer is false, as shown by the solution provided. The second question asks if a diagonalizable matrix with n eigenvalues has n different solutions for the polynomial. The answer is true, as explained by the solution. The speaker also expresses concern about a larger problem with the statement and questions the assumption that eigenvalues must be different for a matrix to be diagonalizable.
lukaszh
Hello,
could you help me with some true false questions about matrices?

First
If [tex]\mathbf{A}=\mathbf{B}-\mathrm{i}\mathbf{C}[/tex] is hermitian matrix [tex]\mathbf{B},\mathbf{C}[/tex] are real, then [tex]\mathbf{B},\mathbf{C}[/tex] are anti-symmetric matrices. True? False?

My solution
If [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex] is hermitian, then [tex]\mathbf{A}^{\mathrm{H}}=\mathbf{A}[/tex] so [tex](\mathbf{B}-\mathrm{i}\mathbf{C})^{\mathrm{H}}=\mathbf{B}^{\mathrm{H}}-(\mathrm{i}\mathbf{C})^{\mathrm{H}}=\mathbf{B}^{\mathrm{T}}+i\mathbf{C}^{\mathrm{T}}[/tex]. It implies the fact [tex]\mathbf{B}^{\mathrm{T}}+i\mathbf{C}^{\mathrm{T}}=\mathbf{B}-\mathrm{i}\mathbf{C}[/tex]. [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex] is symmetric and [tex]\mathbf{C}[/tex] is anti-symmetric. FALSE

Second
If A is diagonalizable and its eigenvalues are [tex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,\cdots,\lambda_n\}[/tex], then [tex]\prod_{k=1}^{n}(x-\lambda_k)=0[/tex] has n different solutions

My solution
Matrix is diagonalizable, then [tex]\lambda_i\ne\lambda_j[/tex] for [tex]i\ne j[/tex]. So polynomial has n different soln's. TRUE

Thank you very much for your help...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have a much bigger problem that whether this statement is true of false! What makes you think that if a matrix is diagonalizable, then [itex]\lambda_i\ne\lambda_j[/itex]?

The identity matrix is diagonalizable because it is diagonal. What are its eigenvalues?

(An n by n matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has n independent eigenvectors. It doesn't matter what the eigenvalues are.)

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

2. What are true and false questions about matrices?

True and false questions about matrices are statements that can be either true or false depending on the properties and operations of matrices. For example, "A matrix can have a negative determinant" is a true statement, while "A matrix can only have one row" is a false statement.

3. How do you determine if a statement about matrices is true or false?

To determine if a statement about matrices is true or false, you need to understand the properties and operations of matrices. You can also use mathematical rules and definitions to prove the statement. Additionally, you can use examples or counterexamples to test the statement.

4. Are all true statements about matrices also true for all types of matrices?

No, not all true statements about matrices are true for all types of matrices. Some statements may only be true for specific types of matrices, such as square matrices or symmetric matrices. It is important to specify the type of matrix when making statements about them.

5. Can a false statement about matrices be transformed into a true statement?

Yes, a false statement about matrices can be transformed into a true statement by applying certain operations or properties to the matrix. For example, the statement "A matrix can have a negative determinant" can be transformed into a true statement by multiplying the matrix by -1.