Matrix diagonalisation with complex eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses the basis of R4 consisting of eigenvectors for a given A matrix and whether the matrix A is diagonalizable. It is determined that A is diagonalizable, but not over the real numbers due to the presence of complex eigenvalues. The concept of block-diagonalization is introduced as a way to put the matrix into a real canonical form using a basis of eigenvectors. This process involves finding complex eigenvectors and constructing a matrix S with their real and imaginary components. Ultimately, the goal is to find a basis that transforms the original matrix into a block diagonal form with real eigenvalues on the diagonal and complex eigenvalues in 2x2 blocks.
misterau

Homework Statement

Is there a basis of R4 consisting of eigenvectors for A matrix?
If so, is the matrix A diagonalisable? Diagonalise A, if this is possible. If A is not diagonalisable because some eigenvalues are complex, then find a 'block' diagonalisation
of A, involving a 2 × 2 block corresponding to a pair of complex-conjugate eigenvalues.

A=
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1
1 0 0 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the eigenvalues 1,-1,i,-i. I also worked out real eigenvectors: (-1,1,-1,1)^T and (1,1,1,1)^T. Whenever I try to work out complex eigenvectors I get no free variables..? How come A is "not diagonalisable because some eigenvalues are complex?" What does it mean by find block disgonalisation?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A [/tex] is diagonalizable, just not over [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex]. As for the block-diagonalization, what they mean is that given a real [tex] 2 \times 2 [/tex] matrix [tex] B [/tex] with eigenvalues [tex] \alpha \pm i \beta [/tex], there exists a real, nonsingular matrix [tex] S [/tex] such that
[tex]
S^{-1} B S = \begin{pmatrix}
\alpha & \beta\\
-\beta & \alpha
\end{pmatrix} \textrm{.}
[/tex]
This is sometimes called the real canonical form of [tex] B [/tex]. The way you find the matrix [tex] S [/tex] is by first finding some complex eigenvector of [tex] B [/tex] corresponding to the eigenvalue [tex] \alpha + i \beta [/tex], say [tex] \mathbf{w} = \mathbf{u} + i\mathbf{v} [/tex], where [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex] and [tex] \mathbf{v} [/tex] are real vectors. Then [tex] S [/tex] is the matrix with columns [tex] \mathbf{u} [/tex] and [tex] \mathbf{v} [/tex].

In your case, the real canonical form of the matrix will turn out to be
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 &0&0&0\\
0& -1 &0&0\\
0&0&0& 1\\
0&0& -1 &0\\
\end{pmatrix} \textrm{.}
[/tex]
This is what is meant by block-diagonalization. A basis that puts your original matrix into this form will be [tex] \{ \mathbf{w}_{+1}, \mathbf{w}_{-1}, \mathbf{u}, \mathbf{v} \} [/tex], where [tex] \mathbf{w}_{\lambda} [/tex] indicates an eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue [tex] \lambda [/tex] and [tex] \mathbf{u} + i \mathbf{v} [/tex] is an eigenvector with eigenvalue [tex] + i [/tex].

What is matrix diagonalisation with complex eigenvalues?

Matrix diagonalisation with complex eigenvalues is a process of finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to a given matrix by using its complex eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors.

Why is matrix diagonalisation with complex eigenvalues important?

Matrix diagonalisation with complex eigenvalues is important because it simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand and analyze the properties of a matrix. It also helps in solving systems of differential equations and finding stable solutions.

What are complex eigenvalues?

Complex eigenvalues are eigenvalues that have a real and imaginary part. They are a result of solving characteristic equations of matrices that have complex entries.

How do you find complex eigenvalues?

To find complex eigenvalues, we first find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix by taking the determinant of the matrix minus lambda. Then, we solve the polynomial for lambda, which will give us the complex eigenvalues.

Can a matrix have only complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have only complex eigenvalues. This will happen if the matrix has complex entries and does not have any real eigenvalues. This can also happen if the matrix is not diagonalizable over the real numbers.