Critical angle = brewster angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the refractive index when the critical angle is equal to the Brewster angle. It is determined that the formula n=1.272 is the solution, but there is confusion about how to arrive at this answer. Different methods, such as using trig identities, are suggested to simplify the equation and solve for n. Eventually, the issue is resolved and the correct answer is confirmed.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

when the critical angle=brewster angle, what is the refractive index, if incident n is air=1.

arcsin(1/n)=arctan(n)=>n=1.272...?

how is this? i tried differentiating both side and solving but i just get into a big mess, can anyone help me if i am missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ive tried pythagoras, and trig idendenties, but all i come up with is x=x??

If you want to use identities you can take the sin on both sides and then use [itex]\cos^2x+\sin^2x=1,\;1+\tan^2x=\sec^2x[/itex] to simplify the right hand side.

ok thanks i think i got it now... just confused about the algebra

all solved, thanks very much

I'm still at a loss as to how n = 1.272.

so getting to:
1/n = sin(arctan(n))

then squaring and adding cos^2 gets:

1/n^2 - cos^2(arctan(n)) = 1

but any way I rearrange the above formula to get 1/cos^2 for sec^2 ends up resulting in n=1?

1. What is the critical angle and Brewster angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a light ray traveling from a denser medium to a less dense medium will be refracted along the interface between the two media instead of being transmitted. The Brewster angle is the angle of incidence at which a light ray traveling from a medium will be polarized parallel to the interface between the two media.

2. How are the critical angle and Brewster angle related?

The critical angle and Brewster angle are related mathematically through Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two media. The Brewster angle is equal to the arctangent of the index of refraction of the less dense medium over the index of refraction of the denser medium.

3. What is the significance of the critical angle and Brewster angle?

The critical angle and Brewster angle have practical applications in optics, specifically in the design of optical components such as lenses, prisms, and mirrors. They also have significance in understanding the polarization of light and the behavior of light at interfaces between different media.

4. What factors affect the critical angle and Brewster angle?

The critical angle and Brewster angle are affected by the indices of refraction of the two media, the wavelength of the incident light, and the polarization state of the incident light. They can also be affected by the roughness or irregularities of the interface between the two media.

5. How can the critical angle and Brewster angle be experimentally determined?

The critical angle and Brewster angle can be experimentally determined by measuring the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs for the critical angle, and by using a polarizer to measure the angle of incidence at which the reflected light is completely polarized for the Brewster angle.