Shock absorber/Suspension advice (bike project)

In summary, a man read an article about a bicycle with a triangular and pentagonal wheel and was inspired to make a full-size version. He is currently working on making it stable by using a roller on top of the wheel and a shock absorber between the roller and the hinged forks. He is seeking advice and ideas for the shock absorber and is also looking to incorporate dynamos and a dashboard on the bike. However, someone pointed out that a conventional shock absorber may not work well with the unique wheel design and may cause the rider to expend more energy.
James...
After reading an article a few weeks ago about a man who had made a bicycle with a triangular & pentagonal wheel & started doing some reading on the shapes.

Made a model of it but would like to try & make a full size one as we realized that it needs some parts that I couldn't make out of plywood in a little model.

Been thinking how to make it stable & came up with the idea of putting a roller on top of the wheel which is always in contact & fixed to the headstock. This will move the front of the bike up & down.

Next, the bike forks would be mounted on a hinge allowing free movement. I would weld some sort of shock absorber inbetween the fixed roller & the hinged forks which I would aim to make to be able to counteract the up & down motion of the wheel/frame if it is possible.

Any ideas whether this concept might work & any ideas for a shock absorber would be appeciated as I have no expecience with this sort of thing.

Currently doing AS physics in college & my teacher challenged me to make a model which has made me want to make a real one so I can try & overcome the problems.

Starting work on how to make the back stay level now as the article & pictures didnt give much of an insight.

Want something good to put on my personal statement too as I am applying for a physics degree this year.

If I could get it made, the aim then would be to put some dynamos on the wheels to charge a powerpack & make some sort of dashboard with lights, speedo etc on haha! Really getting into the subject & want to try some projects.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks alot

James

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post or link to some sketches or photos?

A conventional "shock absorber" will not counteract movement. It will only dampen sudden movement.

Any shock absorber wastes energy. In the case of those funny wheels, it'll be a LOT of energy. You'll be sweating hard after the first 100 meters.

1. What is the purpose of a shock absorber/suspension on a bike?

The main purpose of a shock absorber or suspension on a bike is to absorb the impact and vibrations from bumps and uneven terrain, thereby improving the rider's comfort and control while riding. It also helps to protect the bike from damage caused by impacts.

2. How do I choose the right shock absorber/suspension for my bike project?

Choosing the right shock absorber or suspension for your bike project depends on factors such as the type of bike, riding style, and budget. It is important to research and understand the different types of shocks and suspensions available, and consider factors such as travel distance, adjustability, and weight before making a decision.

3. How often should I service my bike's shock absorber/suspension?

The frequency of servicing your bike's shock absorber or suspension depends on the type and brand of the component, as well as your riding style and frequency. Generally, it is recommended to have your shocks serviced at least once a year or every 100 hours of riding to ensure optimal performance and longevity.

4. Can I install a new shock absorber/suspension on my bike myself?

Installing a new shock absorber or suspension on your bike can be a complex process and requires specialized tools and knowledge. It is recommended to have a professional mechanic or bike shop install the component to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential safety hazards.

5. How can I tell if my bike's shock absorber/suspension needs to be replaced?

If you notice a decrease in performance, such as increased bouncing or bottoming out, or if there are visible signs of damage or wear on the shock absorber or suspension, it may be time for a replacement. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain your bike's shock absorber or suspension to ensure safe and efficient riding.