Critical Angle Homework: Speed of Light in Material is 1.61x10^8 m/s

In summary, the critical angle for a ray of light leaving an unknown material surrounded by air is 32.4 degrees Celsius. To find the speed of light in the material, you can use the equation niSin(theda)c = nRSin(theda)R. By plugging in the values given, we can find the refractive index to be 1/0.53, which is equal to 1.89x10^8 m/s. However, the book has a different answer of 1.61x10^8 m/s, which could be due to a math error.
jaron

Homework Statement

the critical angle for a ray of light leaving an unknown material (surrounded by air) is
32.4'(degrees celcius). the speed of light in the material is:

Homework Equations

niSin(theda)c = nRSin(theda)R
(i am not sure how to make theda symbols on the computer)

The Attempt at a Solution

niSin32'/Sin32' = 1Sin90'/Sin32'
ni = 1/0.53
ni = 1.89x10^8 m/s
that's the answer that makes the most sense to me. but the back of my book has a different answer:
1.61x10^8 m/s (i have no idea how they got this)

i have a test on this stuff tomorrow

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can find the refractive index with respect to air given the critical angle..

What are the ratios you can use to find the refractive index?

hmm ni =/= 1.89*10^8 ... I guessing that's just a typo.

1/0.53... is right. I'm not sure how you got your answer but I got 1.61*10^8.

n=c/v

It might just be a math error.

1. What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the refracted ray of light travels along the boundary of two different materials. It is the maximum angle at which light can travel through a material before it is completely reflected.

2. How do you calculate the critical angle?

The critical angle can be calculated using the formula:
critical angle = sin-1 (n2 / n1)
where n1 is the refractive index of the first material and n2 is the refractive index of the second material.

3. How does the speed of light in a material affect the critical angle?

The speed of light in a material is directly related to the refractive index of that material. As the speed of light decreases, the refractive index increases, resulting in a smaller critical angle. This means that light will be more likely to be reflected rather than refracted as it travels through the material.

4. What is the speed of light in material with a refractive index of 1.61?

The speed of light in a material with a refractive index of 1.61 is 1.61 x 108 m/s. This value is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 108 m/s.

5. How does the critical angle affect the behavior of light in a material?

The critical angle determines whether light will be refracted or reflected as it travels through a material. If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, the light will be reflected back into the original material. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light will be refracted and continue to travel through the material. This plays a crucial role in optics and the behavior of light in various materials.