Water percentage of an organism

In summary, scientists determine the percentage of water in organisms by weighing the specimen before and after drying. This can be done by grinding up tissues and analyzing the concentration of elements such as Na, K, Ca, and performing subcellular fractionation techniques. However, this process requires a lot of work and may not be completely accurate as other compounds may decompose during the drying process. Additionally, there is also a measurement called "body water" that can be used to determine the percentage of water in organisms.
DragonPetter
I am curious, how do scientists come up with facts like a human is xx% water? I saw on a documentary recently that a jelly fish is 96% water. How is this measured and determined? What about other elements and materials?

Biology news on Phys.org
If you can believe it, simply by weighing the specimen before and after drying.

I have some old book with data of different human tissues (including bone), and the percentage is rather variable.

In terms of 'other materials', what can be done is to grind up tissues and perform analytical chemistry techniques to determine the concentration of Na, K, Ca, etc. etc. Subcellular fractionation techniques can be used to further distinguish between, for example, cytoplasm and nucleus. Membrane extraction can be used to determine the lipid constitution of membranes.

It's a ton of work- an unbelievable amount of grunt work.

Andy Resnick said:
If you can believe it, simply by weighing the specimen before and after drying.

I have some old book with data of different human tissues (including bone), and the percentage is rather variable.

In terms of 'other materials', what can be done is to grind up tissues and perform analytical chemistry techniques to determine the concentration of Na, K, Ca, etc. etc. Subcellular fractionation techniques can be used to further distinguish between, for example, cytoplasm and nucleus. Membrane extraction can be used to determine the lipid constitution of membranes.

It's a ton of work- an unbelievable amount of grunt work.
Ah very interesting :D The drying up makes a lot of sense, but I wonder how accurate that is, as other compounds may decompose to other gases that take away from the mass of the organism which aren't water.I also ran across this last night after I searched a little bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_water

1. What is the water percentage of an organism?

The water percentage of an organism refers to the amount of water present in its body in relation to its total weight. This can vary greatly depending on the type of organism and its environment.

2. Why is the water percentage of an organism important?

Water is essential for life and plays a crucial role in many biological processes such as metabolism, transportation of nutrients, and temperature regulation. The water percentage of an organism can impact its overall health and functioning.

3. How is the water percentage of an organism measured?

The water percentage of an organism can be measured through various techniques such as using a moisture analyzer, oven-drying method, or through chemical analysis. These methods involve removing the water from a sample of the organism and calculating the percentage based on the remaining dry weight.

4. What factors can affect the water percentage of an organism?

The water percentage of an organism can be influenced by various factors such as its diet, hydration levels, metabolic rate, and environmental conditions. For example, organisms living in dry environments may have a lower water percentage compared to those living in wet environments.

5. How does the water percentage of an organism change over time?

The water percentage of an organism can fluctuate over time depending on its physiological needs and the availability of water. For example, during times of dehydration, an organism's water percentage may decrease, but it can be restored with proper hydration. Similarly, a high water percentage may be required during certain stages of growth and development.