Electromagnetic Theory: Do these Fields Solve the maxwell equations?

In summary, the given functions \vec{E} = E0 * cos(kx-wt)\vec{e}1 and \vec{B} = B0 * cos(kx-wt)\vec{e}1 represent the propagation of an electromagnetic wave in the x-direction, with the constraint that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to the propagation. In order for these functions to satisfy Maxwell's equations, the dot product of the wave vector and electric field vector must be equal to zero.
Raioneru
1. Consider the fields:

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = E0 * cos(kx-wt)[tex]\vec{e}[/tex]1

[tex]\vec{B}[/tex] = B0 * cos(kx-wt)[tex]\vec{e}[/tex]1

Do these fields solve the maxwell equations? if so, what do they describe?

2. Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = E0 * cos(kx-wt)[tex]\vec{e}[/tex]1

[tex]\vec{B}[/tex] = B0 * cos(kx-wt)[tex]\vec{e}[/tex]1

The Attempt at a Solution

if these functions holds for the maxwell equations then,
[tex]\nabla[/tex].[tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=0
[tex]\nabla[/tex].[tex]\vec{E}[/tex]=0

that is

[tex]\nabla[/tex].[tex]\vec{B}[/tex]=-[tex]\vec{B}[/tex]0.[tex]\vec{K}[/tex]*Sin(kx-wt)

this equation is equal to zero only if and only if B0.K = 0 that means, they are perpendicular vectors. that is the constraint.

I guess the [tex]\vec{e}[/tex] means that the wave propagates only in the x direction? since e1=<1,0,0>

hum, I really can't tell if that's the appropriate answer, so could you help please ?
thanks in advance

so the question what do they describe, I wrote the propagation of the electromagnetic wave in the x-direction as time increases.

Physics news on Phys.org
try peforming the differntitaion and see what you get

also shouldn;t you have 4 equations to satisfy?

Yes I have 4 equations to satisfy, I'll try the differentiation and I'll get back at you

however what you said is correct, the cos term represents propogation in the x dir'n,

so as you have said
[tex] \vec{B}_0 = B_0(1,0,0) [/tex]
[tex] \vec{E}_0 = E_0(1,0,0) [/tex]

how do these relate to the differentiation and formula you have given?

the problem is asking for: what do these functions describe?

so I figured since these are wave functions, they must be describing the propagation of either the electric field or the magnetic field. and since vector e1 is "attached" it means, the propagation of the electric wave, and the magnetic wave in the x-direction

you need to check whther they satisfy Maxwell's equations

as the elctric field, magnetic field & propogation direction are all parallel, i doubt this is the case

are you sure? because I thought that in this case, the function holds if and only if:

vector k . vector E0 is 0, which means the electric field is perpendicular to the propagation

have a look at how you have written the fields in your first post

propogation direction is x, E field only has e_1 component which i assume is in the x dir'n and B field only has e_1 component which i assume is also in the x dir'n

1. What are the Maxwell equations and how do electromagnetic fields solve them?

The Maxwell equations, also known as Maxwell's equations, are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the most important contributions to modern physics. Electromagnetic fields, which consist of electric and magnetic fields, solve these equations by satisfying their mathematical relationships and accurately describing the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. How do electromagnetic fields interact with matter?

Electromagnetic fields interact with matter through the movement and interaction of charged particles. When an electromagnetic wave encounters matter, its electric and magnetic fields can cause the charged particles in the material to move and produce an electromagnetic response. This can result in various phenomena such as absorption, reflection, and refraction of the electromagnetic wave.

3. Do electromagnetic fields have an effect on light?

Yes, electromagnetic fields have a direct effect on light as light is a type of electromagnetic wave. The electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave oscillate in perpendicular directions and propagate at the speed of light. This is why electromagnetic theory is often referred to as the theory of light.

4. How does the speed of electromagnetic waves compare to the speed of light?

The speed of electromagnetic waves is equivalent to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This was first predicted by Maxwell's equations and later confirmed by experiments by scientists such as Heinrich Hertz and Albert Einstein.

5. Are there any practical applications of electromagnetic theory?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications of electromagnetic theory in our daily lives. Electromagnetic waves are used in various forms of communication, such as radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI and X-rays. Additionally, electromagnetic fields are essential in generating and transmitting electricity, which powers many of our modern technologies and devices.