The Electronic Engineers garage.

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, an Electrical Engineer can build cool projects in their garage for fun or for their hobby.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
I have been asking many questions trying to really get a feel for what someone in the field of Electrical Engineering really does, but now I realize I have been asking the wrong question.

What I really want to know is: What kind of cool stuff can an Electrical Engineer build in his garage for a hobby, or for fun?

What kind of projects do the members of this forum have going on? I would love to hear some of the hobby's.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess that's actually "The Electrical Engineers Garage." Pardon my mistake.

I recently built several BLDC (brushless dc) electric motors using neodymium magnets for rotor, a Hall Effect sensor, and an H-bridge for commutating stator coil current.

I recently restored a 100-year-old repulsion-start 1/6 HP electric motor, with a radial commutator (for repulsion start only- brushes retract).

Bob S

Search microcontroller projects and you will find a lot of stuff!

Bob S said:
I recently built several BLDC (brushless dc) electric motors using neodymium magnets for rotor, a Hall Effect sensor, and an H-bridge for commutating stator coil current.

I recently restored a 100-year-old repulsion-start 1/6 HP electric motor, with a radial commutator (for repulsion start only- brushes retract).

Bob S

Wow, that sounds very interesting... I, um, don't understand any of it; but it sounds really cool.

bassplayer142 said:
Search microcontroller projects and you will find a lot of stuff!

That's it? I always took electrical engineers to be more of the tinkering type. Tim Taylor meets Nikola Tesla type thing.

Or is it that nobody wants to discuss their super-secret-mega-invention that is going to land them in riches and fame?

With my son, I recently designed and built an audio 'fuzz box', with remote foot switch. Fun project and got to teach some electronics along the way.

Some other projects: A CO2 ejection system for model rockets, remote control guidance system for model rocket recovery, etc.

Slow as hobbies. Work life interferes. :-)

Last edited:
Power supplies, laser light show deflector, biofeedback EEG machine, other fun stuff.

Its probably beyond the budget, but i got to play with a superconducting magnet system for my honours thesis which was pretty awesome.

A friend of mine just modded a remote control car to include a foam dart launcher with automated face recognition and target tracking.

Recently I have been tinkering with solid state tesla coils. I've made a 0-200VDC smps for it, oscillator with tl494, a "burst mode" circuit for it, and a large 8000uf 200vdc capacitor bank for operating in burst mode.

1. What is "The Electronic Engineers Garage?"

"The Electronic Engineers Garage" is a collaborative workspace designed for electronic engineers to work, create, and innovate together. It is equipped with various tools and resources that can be used for electronic projects.

2. Who can use "The Electronic Engineers Garage?"

Anyone with an interest in electronics, especially engineers, can use "The Electronic Engineers Garage." It is open to individuals, groups, and organizations.

3. What equipment and tools are available at "The Electronic Engineers Garage?"

"The Electronic Engineers Garage" is equipped with a variety of tools and equipment such as oscilloscopes, soldering stations, 3D printers, and more. A complete list of equipment can be found on our website.

4. How can I become a member of "The Electronic Engineers Garage?"

You can become a member of "The Electronic Engineers Garage" by filling out a membership application on our website and paying the membership fee. Membership options include individual, group, and corporate options.

5. Can I host events or workshops at "The Electronic Engineers Garage?"

Yes, "The Electronic Engineers Garage" is available for hosting events and workshops related to electronics. Please contact us for more information on how to book the space for your event.