Exploring the Wonders of Electromagnetic Technology on Cell Phones

In summary, electromagnetic fields can be used to transfer information between devices. There are specific frequencies that cell phone companies use and it is impossible to tap into any phone call without the correct equipment.
tot
I was using my iPhone when I got to thinking about how amazing it is that so much information can be transferred all with electromagnetism.
I was in a room with 500 other iphones and I could not connect at all.
is this because AT&T could not support 500 people on the same tower?
if someone with a verizion phone walked into the event would their phone work great?
is there a limit to the amount of information that can be transferred on the Eletromagnetic field within a space?
What frequencies do cell phone use?
Can more than 1 cell phone be on the same frequency?
How are there enough frequencies to go around?

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you, I could not find this page with the search terms i used.

tot said:
thank you, I could not find this page with the search terms i used.
I Googled "cell tower" rather than "cell phone". :wink:

I wonder what frequency range AT&T has.
Do you think that 500 connections would max out their frequency range.
A bunch of people keep saying that AT&T is on 1900MHz

THis is not a frequency range! do you think they are trying to say "Around 1900MHz"?

I wonder how easy it would be to tap in on Cell phone calls by picking up AT&T's frequencies.

The same thing happened to me 2.

tot said:
I wonder how easy it would be to tap in on Cell phone calls by picking up AT&T's frequencies.
It is essentially impossible, since the information is digitally encoded and encrypted.

There are several different cell phone frequency windows between 800 MHz and 2000 MHz. (not 300-400, that is incorrect.) iPhone supports a number of different bands, the ones used by AT&T in the U.S. are circa 850 and 1900 MHz. 1900 means 1850-1910 upstream and 1930-1990 downstream.

The 850 MHz band has the bandwidth of 25 Mbps full-duplex per cell tower (this, obviously, can be increased through data compression), the 1900 MHz band is 60 Mbps full-duplex. This bandwidth is shared among all cell phones connected to the tower.

can you.. own the emfield?
does AT&T own part of the emfield?

In the USA, the various sections of the electromagnetic spectrum are not "owned" by anybody. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates what different frequencies may be used for. They grant exclusive rights to certain frequencies to individual companies, for a fee.

In other words, you lease the frequencies from the government.

In other words, the government owns the frequencies.

that is so awesome that the government charges rent to use the electromagnetic spectrum. I hope the money gets sent into nuclear energy research.

tot said:
that is so awesome that the government charges rent to use the electromagnetic spectrum.
You are right. It would be much better if we all used it as we saw fit.

Personally, I am fond of a particular frequency and would use it all the time to run my wireless home network. The fact that it's the same frequency as is used by the nearby International Airport to land their planes is not really my problem. :wink:

1. What is electromagnetic technology and how does it work on cell phones?

Electromagnetic technology refers to the use of electromagnetic fields to transfer information. On cell phones, this technology is used to transmit and receive signals from cell towers. The phone's antenna picks up the electromagnetic waves from the tower, and the phone's processor decodes the information to display on the screen or make a call.

2. Are there any health risks associated with using cell phones and their electromagnetic technology?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of cell phones and electromagnetic technology. Some studies suggest a possible link between long-term cell phone use and certain health issues, such as brain tumors. However, the current scientific consensus is that there is no conclusive evidence to prove a direct link between cell phone use and negative health effects.

3. Is it safe to use a cell phone during a thunderstorm?

It is not recommended to use a cell phone during a thunderstorm as the phone's electromagnetic radiation could attract lightning. It is safest to avoid using electronic devices during a thunderstorm and to seek shelter indoors.

4. How has electromagnetic technology on cell phones evolved over time?

Electromagnetic technology on cell phones has evolved significantly since the first cell phone call in 1973. The size and power of antennas have decreased, while the speed and efficiency of data transfer have increased. Additionally, newer technologies such as 5G are being implemented to improve connectivity and data transfer rates.

5. Are there any regulations in place for cell phone manufacturers regarding electromagnetic technology?

Yes, there are regulations in place to limit the amount of electromagnetic radiation that cell phones emit. In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has set specific guidelines for the maximum amount of radiation that cell phones can emit. Cell phone manufacturers must meet these guidelines in order to sell their products in the US market.