Calculating the energy stored in a spring

In summary, the energy stored in a spring when a force of 12N is applied can be calculated by finding the area under the force extension graph. This area represents the product of a force and a distance, which is equivalent to Newton Metres or Joules. Therefore, to calculate the energy stored in joules, one must calculate the area under the graph from 12N downward.
lukenichols
1. Calculate the energy stored in the spring when a forceo f 12N is applied (revision
a graph is given (force extension graph and when the force is 12N, the extension is 80mm)

2. f=kx

3. I do not know how to solve this problem and my exam is tomorrow!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the graph of F against x, the force should vary linearly. What does the area under the graph give?

k, the spring constant?

lukenichols said:
k, the spring constant?

No, the area under the graph would give the product of a force and a distance, which is what?

rock.freak667 said:
No, the area under the graph would give the product of a force and a distance, which is what?

is it Newton Metres?
I genuinely am unsure on this topic to be honest

lukenichols said:
is it Newton Metres?
I genuinely am unsure on this topic to be honest

Yes Nm, which is also the same as Joule, which is energy. So what does the area give?

rock.freak667 said:
Yes Nm, which is also the same as Joule, which is energy. So what does the area give?

does it give the energy stored in joules?

so i have to calculate the area under the graph from 12N downward?

lukenichols said:
does it give the energy stored in joules?

so i have to calculate the area under the graph from 12N downward?

Yes.

What is the formula for calculating the energy stored in a spring?

The formula for calculating the energy stored in a spring is E = 0.5kx2, where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position in meters.

What is the spring constant and how is it determined?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. This value remains constant for a particular spring regardless of the displacement.

How does the displacement of a spring affect the energy stored?

The energy stored in a spring is directly proportional to the square of the displacement. This means that the more the spring is stretched or compressed, the more energy it will store.

Can the energy stored in a spring be negative?

No, the energy stored in a spring cannot be negative. This is because energy is a measure of the ability to do work, and a negative value would imply that the spring is exerting a negative force, which is not physically possible.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the energy stored in a spring?

The concept of calculating the energy stored in a spring is used in various real-life applications, such as in car suspensions, pogo sticks, and trampolines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of elastic materials and designing structures like bridges and buildings.