Questions about the baryon octet and decuplet?

• Thread starter jeebs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baryon
In summary: This is a consequence of the Pauli exclusion principle.In summary, the baryon decuplet and octet are two different groupings of baryons based on their spin. The quarks within these baryons have different alignments of spin, resulting in different overall spin states. Additionally, the decuplet includes quarks that are not present in the octet, and vice versa. This is due to the requirement for the baryon's wavefunction to be antisymmetric, which restricts the possible spin combinations.
jeebs
Hi,
I have been looking at the baryon decuplet for spin 3/2 baryons, and the octet for spin 1/2 baryons. Here is a picture of the baryon decuplet:
http://schools-wikipedia.org/images/392/39222.png
Here is a picture of the baryon octet:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-small.svg.png

As I understand it, the spin of the baryon is determined by the spins of its constituent quarks, ie. you can either have all 3 quark spins aligned, giving spin 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 3/2,
or you can have 2 of the spins in one direction and the other in the opposite direction, giving spin 1/2 + 1/2 - 1/2 = 1/2.

The differences between the decuplet and the octet appear to be that the quarks are on the decuplet but not the octet, and the octet has the quark but the decuplet does not.

Also, the proton and neutron on the octet are the same quark combination as the do on the decuplet, but for some reason they are called different names depending on which diagram you look at.

Why do we have different names for particles with exactly the same quark content?
I thought the answer to this might be to do with the spin of the baryon, but the octet and the decuplet both include the quarks, with the same name and quark content. What's going on here?

My other question is why should there be ten particles in the decuplet but only eight in the octet? By that I mean, take the quark that appears on the decuplet only. It has quark content ddd. Clearly if it only appears in the decuplet diagram, the ddd combination cannot form a spin 1/2 baryon.
What is the reason why these quarks ARE able align so that the baryon they form has a spin 3/2, but are NOT able to align so that they form a baryon with spin 1/2?

Or, to put it more simply, why are there 10 quarks in the one diagram but not the other?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have t add the spins quantum mechanically. Then you would see that the decuplet has a different spin function than the octet.

clem said:
You have t add the spins quantum mechanically. Then you would see that the decuplet has a different spin function than the octet.

could you elaborate please?

A good review, as usual, is in the PDG, QM
Basically, you have to think about (14.23)
3 x 3 x 3 = 10 + 8 + 8 + 1
There is a lot to say to fully describe this seemingly simple model. A good introductory textbook is (for instance) Close's "An introduction to quarks and partons", or available online, this (2.92)

jeebs said:
What is the reason why these quarks ARE able align so that the baryon they form has a spin 3/2, but are NOT able to align so that they form a baryon with spin 1/2?

Because the total wavefunction has to be antisymmetric. If I have the same flavors of quarks, I can put them in a spin-3/2 state, because the state is antisymmetric in color and symmetric in spin. If I try and put them in a spin-1/2 state, it's still antisymmetric in color but now it's also antisymmetric in spin, so it doesn't work.

1. What is the baryon octet and decuplet?

The baryon octet and decuplet are groups of particles that are composed of three quarks and are classified as baryons. They are the building blocks of protons and neutrons, which are the most common baryons in the universe.

2. How many particles are in the baryon octet and decuplet?

The baryon octet consists of eight particles, while the baryon decuplet consists of ten particles. These particles are arranged in a specific pattern based on their properties and characteristics.

3. What is the significance of the baryon octet and decuplet?

The baryon octet and decuplet are important in the study of particle physics because they help us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of matter. They also provide insight into the structure of the universe and how it evolved.

4. How are the particles in the baryon octet and decuplet related?

The particles in the baryon octet and decuplet are related through a phenomenon known as flavor symmetry. This means that they have similar properties and can transform into one another through the exchange of quarks.

5. What is the difference between the baryon octet and decuplet?

The main difference between the baryon octet and decuplet is the number of particles they contain. The baryon octet has eight particles, while the decuplet has ten particles. Additionally, the particles in the decuplet have a higher mass and are less stable compared to those in the octet.