Discover the Fascinating Technology Behind the Apollo Missions

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person looking for a book about the Apollo systems and their role in the moon landing. They prefer a book that is easy to understand for someone with engineering knowledge but not necessarily an expert. The conversation also mentions a humorous Haynes manual about sex and how Haynes manuals used to be essential for car maintenance. The conversation ends with a recommendation for two books on the topic and a comment on the complexity of car wiring diagrams.
awestruck
I hope this is the right forum for this question. If not, I apologize.

I'm looking for a book that details the Apollo systems and how they were used to get us to the moon. Ideally I'd like to see details of the various components, where they fit and what they do. I have some engineering training but the book should be aimed at an "enlightened" lay person, and I use the word "enlightened" dimly.

Any help...please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
51hPOyE3yfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't know of any - there a few books on Nasa management and the people and a decent book about the Apollo13 incident (Failure is not an option)

Wow, haynes manuals cover everything.

Did you know there is a Haynes Sex manual.

mgb_phys said:
51hPOyE3yfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Oh... My... GAWD!

FlexGunship said:
Oh... My... GAWD!
Haynes make car service manuals, back in the day when you had to spend every saturday servicing your car, and could service your car without secret codes.
This is a sort of joke (it's not the workshop manual) but it is an interesting look at the project.

mgb_phys said:
Haynes make car service manuals, back in the day when you had to spend every saturday servicing your car, and could service your car without secret codes.
This is a sort of joke (it's not the workshop manual) but it is an interesting look at the project.

First thing to accompany any car purchase should be a Haynes manual. I now own a MK2, MK3 and MK4 Golf Haynes manual. (I really should buy another make, but every time I try I just end up buying another golf.)

The most mind boggling bit is looking at how the wiring diagrams become infinitely more complicated with each evolution.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844250865/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1859609317/?tag=pfamazon01-20

epic.

1. What was the main purpose of the Apollo missions?

The main purpose of the Apollo missions was to land humans on the moon and bring them back safely to Earth. This was a major accomplishment for the United States during the Space Race against the Soviet Union.

2. How did the Apollo missions use technology to achieve their goals?

The Apollo missions utilized various technological advancements including the Saturn V rocket, the Apollo spacecraft, and the Lunar Module. These technologies allowed for the safe transportation of astronauts to the moon and the successful landing and return to Earth.

3. What were some of the challenges faced by scientists during the Apollo missions?

Some of the challenges faced by scientists during the Apollo missions included designing and building the necessary spacecraft and equipment, ensuring the safety and health of the astronauts in space, and overcoming the technical difficulties of landing and returning from the moon.

4. What were the key scientific discoveries made during the Apollo missions?

The Apollo missions led to several key scientific discoveries, including the first samples of moon rocks brought back to Earth, the confirmation of the moon's origin and age, and the discovery of new information about the Earth's magnetic field and geology.

5. How did the Apollo missions impact future space exploration?

The Apollo missions had a significant impact on future space exploration by demonstrating the capabilities and limitations of human spaceflight, providing valuable data and knowledge about the moon and space travel, and inspiring future generations to continue exploring and pushing the boundaries of scientific discovery.