'Centripetal Accelerations' and 'Radius of Curvatures' in Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding projectile motion and the radius of curvature of the curve at certain points. The first question involves a particle projected at an angle with the horizontal and the second question involves a parabola traced out by the projectile. The conversation includes equations and an attempt at solving the problems, as well as guidance from an expert. The final answer is given as u2cos2ѳ/g cos3(ѳ/2).
modulus

Homework Statement

The first question:
‘A particle is projected with a speed u at an angle ѳ with the horizontal. Consider a small part of it’s path near the highest position and take it approximately to be a circular arc. What is the radius of this circle? This radius is called the radius of curvature of the curve at that point.’

The second question:
‘What is the radius of curvature of a parabola traced out by the projectile in the previous problem at a point where the particle velocity makes an angle ѳ/2 with the horizontal?’

Homework Equations

For first situation: mg = mv2/r
v (at that point) = u cos ѳ

For the second situation: mg cos(ѳ/2) = mv’2/r
v’ = vx + vy
vx = u cos ѳ

The Attempt at a Solution

The first problem was easy to solve, because we could consider the velocity of the particle at the highest point, which was only u cos ѳ (as the vertical compnent was equal to zero) as v, and, solve using the formula for centripeal acceleration. My answer was: u2cos2 ѳ/g

But, I’m having trouble with the second problem. How can Ifigure out the velocity of the particle at the position mentioned? I can’t figure out the vertical component at that point. Is there any formula or figuring out the velocity of a projrctile according to the angle it makes with the horizontal? Could you please help me solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the initial vx from the set up. Assuming we are neglecting air resistance the initial vx is the vx through the entire problem. So when the velocity makes an angle of ѳ/2 with the horizontal you have two parts of the puzzle. You have the horizontal component and the angle that makes with the hypotenuse of the triangle formed from vx, vy, and v’. From there it's a matter of trig. Might I suggest the use of tangent of the angle with the horizontal to find the vertical component or to go directly to v’ the cos of the angle with respect to the horizontal?

You'll want to be careful with your centripetal force as well. It won't be all of mg. It will be just the part of mg perpendicular to v’.

Last edited:
Right!

I figured out the component of vx in the direction of the projectile's velocity. That would be equal to u cosѳ*cos(ѳ/2). But the answer is given only in terms of cos(ѳ/2).

Any trig identity to apply? (Sorry, my trig's really weak).

Likes Himanshu Bharti
Never mind, there is a cos(theta) in the answer given in the book.

You'll want to be careful with your centripetal force as well. It won't be all of mg. It will be just the part of mg perpendicular to v’.

So mg cos(ѳ/2) = mv'2/r is not correct?

Anyways, I solved assuming the above statement is correct and using what you told me, but the given answer was different again.

My answer: u2 cos2ѳ cos(ѳ/2)/g

Book's answer: u2cos2ѳ/g cos3(ѳ/2)

Did I do something wrong again?
Please help.

So mg cos(ѳ/2) = mv'2/r is not correct?

That is correct.

u cosѳ*cos(ѳ/2)

This you messed up a little.

cos(ѳ/2) = u*cos(ѳ)/v' because cos of the angle is adjacent over hypotenuse

So:

v' = u*cos(ѳ)/cos(ѳ/2)

Now plug that into mg cos(ѳ/2) = mv'2/r and solve for r and you should get your answer.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How does centripetal acceleration relate to projectile motion?

In projectile motion, an object follows a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical motions. The vertical component of the object's motion is affected by gravity, while the horizontal component remains constant. Centripetal acceleration is responsible for the curved path of the object, as it continuously changes the direction of the object's velocity.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is the radius of the circle that a projectile follows in its curved path. As the radius of curvature decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases, and vice versa. This means that the tighter the curve, the greater the centripetal acceleration required to keep the object moving in that path.

4. How does the radius of curvature affect the speed of a projectile in circular motion?

The radius of curvature is directly proportional to the speed of the projectile in circular motion. This means that as the radius of curvature increases, the speed of the projectile decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration.

5. Can the radius of curvature change during projectile motion?

Yes, the radius of curvature can change during projectile motion. This can happen when a projectile is moving in a curved path with varying radii. In such cases, the object's speed and centripetal acceleration will also change as the radius of curvature changes. This is because the object needs to adjust its speed to maintain the necessary centripetal acceleration for each radius of curvature.