Number of irreducible components of a variety

• Thread starter GargleBlast42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number and dimension of irreducible components of an algebraic variety with known singular points, using a specific example in \mathbb{C}^9. The difficulty lies in working backwards to identify the components that make the point singular and determining the dimension based on the given polynomials. It is noted that the Jacobian of the polynomials has a rank of 6 in a generic point, suggesting a dimension of 3 for the variety, but in a specific point with certain variables set to 0, the Jacobian has a lower rank and thus, there may be multiple irreducible components at this point with varying dimensions. The question remains on how to accurately determine the number and dimension
GargleBlast42
Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have an algebraic variety given as a zero locus of a set of polynomials. I know that there are points on this variety, which are singular (i.e. the dimension of the tangent space at these points is bigger than that of the variety). Now fixing one of these points, I would like to know, what is the number of irreducible components of the variety containing this point and what is their respective dimension. How can one do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This won't be an easy one : we must find out which components make the point singular and work backwards. The dimension of such a component depends on the variety at hand.

Well, for example, I have this variety in [tex]\mathbb{C}^9[/tex]:
[tex]x_1^5+x_3^5+x_5^5+x_7^5+x_9^5=0[/tex]
[tex]x_1^4+x_2 x_3^4+x_4 x_5^4+x_6 x_7^4+x_8 x_9^4=0[/tex]
[tex]x_1^3+x_2^2 x_3^3+x_4^2 x_5^3+x_6^2 x_7^3+x_8^2 x_9^3=0[/tex]
[tex]x_1^2+x_2^3 x_3^2+x_4^3 x_5^2+x_6^3 x_7^2+x_8^3 x_9^2=0[/tex]
[tex]x_1+x_2^4 x_3+x_4^4 x_5+x_6^4 x_7+x_8^4 x_9=0[/tex]
[tex]x_2^5+x_4^5+x_6^5+x_8^5+1=0[/tex]
(this actually arose from an equation in [tex]\mathbb{CP}^9[/tex], where I took a patch in which one of the coordinates equals 1 (it's easy to see where the coordinate was in the original eqution))

Now in a generic point, the Jacobian of these polynomials has rank 6, and thus, one would expect that the dimension of the variety is 3 (provided that the polynomials form a radical ideal - is that the case here?). But now in a point like, e.g. [tex]x_1=0,x_3=0,x_5=0,x_6=0,x_8=0[/tex], the rank of the Jacobian is just 4 and thus, one would expect that these points are singular and that there are several irreducible components going through this points. How can one say how many they are and what their dimension is?

What is the meaning of "number of irreducible components" in a variety?

The number of irreducible components of a variety refers to the number of distinct, non-decomposable parts that make up the variety. These components cannot be further broken down into smaller pieces and are the building blocks of the variety.

How is the number of irreducible components of a variety determined?

The number of irreducible components of a variety is determined by looking at the prime factors of the defining polynomial equations of the variety. Each distinct prime factor corresponds to an irreducible component.

Can a variety have a different number of irreducible components depending on the field of definition?

Yes, the number of irreducible components of a variety can vary depending on the field of definition. For example, a variety defined over the complex numbers may have a different number of irreducible components than the same variety defined over the real numbers.

What is the relationship between the number of irreducible components and the dimension of a variety?

The number of irreducible components is related to the dimension of a variety through the Krull dimension theorem. This theorem states that the dimension of a variety is equal to the maximum number of codimension one irreducible components of the variety.

Why is the number of irreducible components an important concept in algebraic geometry?

The number of irreducible components is an important concept in algebraic geometry because it helps us understand the structure of a variety and its defining equations. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and algebraic number theory.