How do you calculate a force of a object that is not accelerating

In summary: The force can be measured by the amount of weight registered on the scale. In summary, when trying to calculate the force of an object that is not accelerating, such as pushing on a wall, the force cannot be calculated and can only be measured using a scale. This is because the force between the object and the wall cannot be accurately determined, unlike the force between a book and a table.
assuredlonewo
I would like to know how to calculate the force of an object that is not accelerating, for example, If I were push on a wall, neither me or the wall would move because the net force would be zero, but how would I calculate the force if I am trying to put on the wall.(I do not want the net force)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.

The force on a book on a table can be calculated because g (or G) was measured previously (historically).

If you push the wall by simply leaning on it, you can imagine replacing yourself by a leaning post of equal weight and calculate the horizontal component caused by gravity (the part touching the floor is a pivot point).

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF.

Sometimes that type of force can be calculated (like the force between a book and a table on which it is sitting) and sometimes it can't. The force you described can't be calculated, only measured.

How can you measure it?

assuredlonewo said:
How can you measure it?
Place a scale between your hands and the wall.

1. How do you calculate the force of an object that is not accelerating?

The force of an object that is not accelerating can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. However, since the object is not accelerating, the value of a will be 0, so the force can simply be calculated by multiplying the mass by 0. This means that the force of an object that is not accelerating is 0 Newtons.

2. What is the difference between force and acceleration?

Force and acceleration are two different physical quantities. Force is a measure of the push or pull on an object, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly the object's velocity changes. Force can cause acceleration, but acceleration can also occur without a force acting on the object (e.g. in the case of free fall).

3. Can an object have a force acting on it without accelerating?

Yes, an object can have a force acting on it without accelerating. This is possible when the force acting on the object is balanced by an equal and opposite force, resulting in a net force of 0. In this case, the object will remain in a state of constant velocity (or at rest).

4. How does the mass of an object affect the force acting on it?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. For example, a heavier object will require more force to be pushed or pulled than a lighter object.

5. What units are used to measure force?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. Other common units for force include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg). Force can also be measured in terms of its components, such as tension in Newtons (N) or friction in Newtons (N).