What should I do for graduate school?

In summary, the speaker is a senior about to finish their undergraduate degree in physics with a minor in computer science. They are unsure about pursuing a PhD in physics due to the time commitment and uncertainty about which branch of physics to pursue. They are considering going to graduate school for a masters degree in engineering, specifically electrical or computer engineering. Their GRE scores and GPA are strong, but they have not taken the physics GRE yet. They are seeking advice on the differences between physics and engineering graduate school and suggestions for which engineering disciplines to consider. They are also interested in hearing from others who have transitioned from physics to engineering and any advice on taking classes to make the transition easier. Additionally, they are open to considering fields of physics that have a strong
Hax0r778
I am a senior about to finish my undergraduate degree in physics (with a minor in CS). Lately though I have been really debating whether or not I should continue in physics and get a PhD. I like physics, but I'm not sure if I want to spend 6-7 years getting a degree. I'm also not sure which branch of physics I want to pursue.

Recently I have been strongly considering going to graduate school to get a masters degree in engineering. I am particularly looking at Electrical or Computer Engineering.

My GRE scores are 800 math, 730 verbal, and 5.0 writing, and my GPA is 3.6, so I should be able to get into a decent school. I haven't taken the physics GRE yet.

I would appreciate any advice related to physics graduate school vs. engineering graduate school, and anything else I might not have considered. I would also appreciate any suggestions about which engineering disciplines to consider.

Also if anyone else has transitioned from physics to engineering I would appreciate learning what the procedure is regarding classes you may not have had and if there are any classes I could take next semester If I decide to go engineering in order to make the transition easier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not consider fields of physics that have a very large engineering component to it? Accelerator physics, device/instrumentation physics, etc. are physics areas that are very heavy on engineering.

Zz.

1. What are the basic requirements for applying to graduate school?

The specific requirements for graduate school can vary depending on the program and institution you are interested in. However, most graduate schools will require applicants to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a minimum GPA, standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement or essay. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or research experience.

2. How do I choose the right graduate program?

Choosing the right graduate program can be a daunting task. It's important to consider your career goals, research interests, and personal preferences when making a decision. Start by researching different programs and their curriculum, faculty, and opportunities for research or internships. You may also want to reach out to current students or alumni for their perspectives. It's also important to consider the location, cost, and potential job prospects after graduation.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree for a certain graduate program?

While some graduate programs may prefer applicants with a specific undergraduate degree, it is not always necessary. Many programs welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds, as long as they have the necessary skills and prerequisites for the program. It's important to carefully review the requirements and contact the program if you have any questions about your qualifications.

4. How can I finance my graduate education?

Graduate school can be expensive, but there are various options for financing your education. These may include scholarships, grants, assistantships, and loans. It's important to research and apply for any funding opportunities that may be available to you. You may also want to consider working part-time or taking on a research or teaching assistantship to help cover the costs of tuition and living expenses.

5. Should I attend graduate school immediately after completing my undergraduate degree?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Some students choose to take a gap year to gain work experience or explore other interests before pursuing graduate education. Others may prefer to continue their education immediately after completing their undergraduate degree. It's important to carefully consider your options and make a decision that aligns with your career goals and personal aspirations.