Heisenberg uncertainty derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics, specifically the definition of ∆A and ∆B as the difference between the operators A and B and their respective expectation values. The conversation also addresses the use of operators in the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality and clarifies the notation <A>, which represents a diagonal matrix with the number <A> on the diagonal. It concludes with the individual thanking the forum for their help.
tungs10
Hi,

I am trying to teach myself some quantum mechanics and here is something I am stuck on. Various derivations of Heisenberg uncertainty start out with two Hermitian operators, usually called A and B to represent position and momentum. Then they define another two operators ∆A and ∆B as:

∆A = A − < A > ∆B = B − < B >

That appears to me to say that ∆A equals operator A minus the expectation value of A. But how can you subtract a number from a matrix? Is an operator like a variable or is it more like a function? If it is like a function, then how can you plug ∆A and ∆B into the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality? This is probably a dumb question, but I don't think I can move on until I sort it out. Example of said derivation at:

"www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~jay/631/uncert1.pdf"[/URL]

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
<A> is a short way of writing <A>I - which means a diagonal matrix with the number <A> on the diagonal. Matrix I has number 1 at each entry on the diagonal - the identity matrix. That is similar to when you you see A-0. Here 0 stands for the matrix consisting of 0-s, not just one number 0. In such cases the meaning of the symbol must be read from the context.

Last edited:
Think of a numeric constant as the following operator: "multiply [the following state function or matrix] by this number."

So it is just <A> multiplied by the identity matrix. Thanks, that makes sense. I am glad I found this forum!

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In other words, the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle derived?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is derived mathematically using the commutation relationship between the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics. This derivation shows that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must always be greater than or equal to a constant value, known as Planck's constant.

3. What are the implications of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It means that there is always a level of uncertainty in our measurements of particles, and we can never know their exact properties simultaneously. This challenges our classical understanding of cause and effect and has led to the development of new theories and interpretations in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle apply to everyday objects?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle only applies to particles at the quantum level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It does not have a noticeable effect on larger, everyday objects, as their position and momentum can be measured with high precision and the uncertainty is negligible.

5. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified. It is a fundamental limitation on our ability to measure the properties of particles and cannot be violated.