Optical and Acoustic Phonons?

This is because the wave nature of optical phonons allows for bi-directional photon scattering, while the particle-like nature of acoustic phonons only allows for unidirectional scattering.
narra
Hello. I'm trying to develop a clear image of Raman and Brillouin scattering in my head, but one uncertainty I have is what are the physical differences between the generation, propagation, and any other characteristics between Optical and Acoustic Phonons in silica fibre (such as, what is it about optical phonons that allows Stimulated Raman Scattering to have bi-directional photon scattering; but not with SBS's acoustic phonons?) . So far I have been unable to find a good source of information which describes these best, can anyone help me out here?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Optical phonons are higher energy excitations of the lattice, generated by photons and involve the displacement of atoms. They have very short lifetimes and can be scattered in both directions due to their wave nature. Acoustic phonons are lower energy excitations of the lattice, generated by sound waves and involve the compression and expansion of the material. They have longer lifetimes and can only be scattered in one direction due to their particle-like nature. In silica fibre, stimulated Raman scattering is caused by optical phonons, while stimulated Brillouin scattering is caused by acoustic phonons.

1. What are phonons?

Phonons are collective vibrations or waves that occur in a solid material, and are responsible for transferring energy and momentum through the material.

2. What is the difference between optical and acoustic phonons?

Optical phonons are high energy vibrations that involve the entire crystal lattice, while acoustic phonons are low energy vibrations that involve only a few atoms in the lattice.

3. How are optical and acoustic phonons detected?

Optical phonons can be detected using techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, while acoustic phonons can be detected using techniques such as Brillouin scattering or ultrasonic measurements.

4. What are some applications of optical and acoustic phonons?

Optical phonons are important in technologies such as lasers and optoelectronics, while acoustic phonons play a role in heat transfer and the properties of materials.

5. How do phonons contribute to thermal conductivity?

Phonons are responsible for transferring heat through a material by carrying thermal energy from one part of the material to another. Higher frequency phonons (such as optical phonons) contribute more to thermal conductivity than lower frequency phonons (such as acoustic phonons).