Difference between a standard and metric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a standard and metric. The standard metric refers to the euclidean metric while a non-standard metric can vary and must satisfy three conditions. There can be many types of non-standard metrics, while the standard euclidean metric is just one example. The original poster is hoping for clarification from another user.
math6
hi friends can someone help me and explain for me what is the difference between a standard and metric?

Physics news on Phys.org

The standard metric usually refers to the euclidean metric, i.e. the "standard euclidean" metric.

math6 said:
hi friends can someone help me and explain for me what is the difference between a standard and metric?
I do not recognize the term "a standard". I wonder if you didn't see the phrase "standard metric" that randou refers to. The "standard metric" on [itex]R^n[/itex] is
[tex]d((x_1, x_2, ..., x_n),(y_1, y_2, ..., y_n))= \sqrt{(x_1-y_1)^2+ (x_2-y_2)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (x_n-y_n)^2}[/tex]

Perhaps it should have been "difference between a standard and non-standard metric", in which case you're both right, but I still win. :wink:

In general a metric need only satisfy the three conditions
*) d(x,y)=0 --> x=y
**) d(x,y)=d(y,x)
***) d(x,y)+d(y,z) <= d(x,z)
and there can be many such metrics. The standard euclidean metric is only one example.

I kind of wish math6 would get back to us and explain what he meant!

What is the difference between a standard and metric?

The main difference between a standard and metric is the unit of measurement used. Standard units are based on the imperial system and use measurements such as inches, feet, and pounds. Metric units, on the other hand, use the International System of Units (SI) and include measurements such as meters, grams, and liters.

Why do some countries use standard and others use metric?

The use of standard or metric units is often dependent on historical and cultural factors. The United States, for example, adopted the imperial system from Great Britain, while most other countries adopted the metric system due to its ease of use and universal nature.

Which system is more accurate?

Both standard and metric systems can be equally accurate when used correctly. However, the metric system is based on multiples of 10, making it easier to convert between units and reducing the chances of making calculation errors.

Is it necessary to learn both standard and metric?

It is beneficial to have a basic understanding of both standard and metric units, as they are both widely used in different countries and industries. However, it is not necessary to know every unit of measurement in both systems, as most scientific fields tend to use metric units.

Which system is used in science?

The metric system is the standard unit of measurement used in science. It is used in all scientific fields and is the preferred system for its ease of use and consistency.