An object moves towards another object, which moves in straight line

In summary, the cat can reach the mouse if it moves along a curve that intersects the line between them at a point where their relative velocities are the same.
visharad
A cat and a mouse see each other at the same time. The distance between them is 40 meters. The mouse moves in a straight line - perpendicularly to the line joining the two. The cat always moves towards the mouse. Each moves at 20 m/s. What is the closest distance the cat can reach the mouse?

I am not really sure how to work this out. I could only figure out the following:-
The cat moves along a curve. At any moment, the line joining the cat and the mouse is a tangent to the curve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the mouse's velocity relative to the cat.

Is the distance between cat and mouse increasing or decreasing?

Does this change in distance depend on the current distance between the cat and mouse, or not?

Initially the distance decreases. But it is possible that later it increases.
So the change in distance depends on their current positions.
But I really do not know how this helps.

If I could somehow find the relative position between the cat and the mouse in terms of time, then the problem will become easy. But I do not know how to find the relative position.
In know their relative initial position and initial velocity but I do not know how the relative acceleration changes with time.

Ahh... it depends how you read the question. I read it as meaning "the mouse always moves perpendicular to the line joining it to the cat." In that case, both the cat and the mouse run in a curve. From the relative velocities, the distance ALWAYS decreases, so the cat catches the mouse.

But it actually says "the mouse moves in a straight line" that it initially at right angles to the cat. In that case, you can write down an equation for the motion of the mouse, and then set up a differential equation for the motion of the cat. See here for how to solve the equations:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PursuitCurve.html

The mouse moves in a straight line. Suppose initially the mouse is at A and the cat is at B, then the mouse moves perpendicular to the line AB. The cat always moves towards the mouse.
Both move at 20 m/s. Their initial separation = 40 m
Seeing the equations in that page.
Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the principle behind an object moving towards another object in a straight line?

The principle behind an object moving towards another object in a straight line is Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Can an object moving towards another object in a straight line change its direction?

Yes, an object moving towards another object in a straight line can change its direction if it is acted upon by an external force. This can be seen in situations such as a car turning a corner or a ball being kicked towards a goal.

3. How does the mass of the objects affect their movement towards each other?

The mass of the objects does not directly affect their movement towards each other. However, the larger the mass of an object, the more force is needed to change its direction or speed. This means that if two objects of different masses are moving towards each other, the one with the greater mass will have a greater impact on the other object's movement.

4. Is the distance between the objects a factor in their movement towards each other?

Yes, the distance between the objects does play a role in their movement towards each other. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects decreases, the force of attraction between them increases.

5. Can an object moving towards another object in a straight line continue to do so indefinitely?

No, an object moving towards another object in a straight line cannot continue to do so indefinitely. As mentioned before, external forces can act on the objects and cause them to change their direction or speed. Additionally, factors such as friction and air resistance can also slow down or stop the movement of the objects.