Gaussian Beam focusing with lens

Let me know if you have any further questions. In summary, the condition for a gaussian beam to have its waist at the same position as its geometric image at di, when a thin lens is placed at a distance d0 from the beam, is that the object distance, d0, must be at infinity.
faradayslaw

Homework Statement

Find the condition needed for a gaussian beam with waist a distance d0 from a thin lens to be imaged (so its geometric image is at di from the lens as per 1/f=1/di + 1/d0) so that its new waist occurs at di, the geometric image position.

Homework Equations

q2=Aq0+B/(Cq0+d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let zr=Rayleigh length for initial beam.
I find that the Real part of 1/q2 is Re[1/q2]=zr^2/f*(1-di/f)=1/R2. If the beam has a waist at di, then R2=Infinity, in which case Re[1/q2]=0 --> di=f, but then d0 would have to be at infinity. I am not sure if this is correct or not, so please let me know any other answers that mihgt be come across.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question and for sharing your approach. I believe you are on the right track. To find the condition for the waist to occur at di, we can use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/d0, where f is the focal length of the lens, di is the image distance, and d0 is the object distance. We also know that the waist of a gaussian beam is located at the Rayleigh length, zr, which is given by zr = πw0^2/λ, where w0 is the waist radius and λ is the wavelength of the beam.

Now, we can substitute the expression for zr into the thin lens equation, and we get:

1/f = 1/di + πw0^2/λd0

To have the waist at di, we need to have w0^2/λd0 = 0. Therefore, the condition for the waist to occur at di is:

d0 = ∞

This means that the object distance, d0, needs to be at infinity, which is what you had also found. This condition is necessary in order for the gaussian beam to be imaged at di with its waist at di. I hope this helps and clarifies the approach.

1. What is a Gaussian beam?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the intensity gradually decreases as you move away from the center of the beam. It is commonly used in laser applications due to its unique properties and ease of focusing.

2. How does a lens affect Gaussian beam focusing?

A lens is used to focus a Gaussian beam by changing the direction of the light rays and making them converge at a point. The lens alters the intensity profile of the beam, resulting in a tighter focus and increased intensity at the focal point.

3. What is the ideal focal length for Gaussian beam focusing?

The ideal focal length for Gaussian beam focusing depends on the initial beam diameter and the desired spot size. Generally, a shorter focal length will result in a smaller spot size, but may also lead to more rapid divergence of the beam after the focus point.

4. Can a Gaussian beam be focused to a single point?

No, due to the nature of Gaussian beams, they cannot be focused to a single point. However, they can be focused to a very small spot size, which can be useful for many applications.

5. How does the beam waist of a Gaussian beam affect focusing with a lens?

The beam waist, or the point of minimum beam diameter, is an important factor in Gaussian beam focusing. The closer the beam waist is to the lens, the more effective the lens will be at focusing the beam. In general, a smaller beam waist will result in a tighter focus and smaller spot size.