Dot Product of a Vector with its Derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of Poynting's Theorem in an Electromagnetism course. The focus is on the dot product of B and dB/dt, as well as E and dE/dt, where both B and E are vectors. The given answer is B dot dB/dt = 1/2 d/dt(B^2), which can be justified by expanding the dot product and using standard differentiation rules. The conversation ends with a thank you to Jason for the help.
Ajihood
Hi Guys,

I am doing an Electromagnetism course at uni and we just derived Poynting's Theorem in class. However, he left steps for us to fill in and that is why I have a question.

In the derivation we get the dot product:

B dot dB/dt

and

E dot dE/dt

where both B and E are vectors. The answer that was given was

B dot dB/dt = 1/2 d/dt(B^2)

I don't quite understand where this comes from. I can kind of justify the d/dt (B^2) with my knowledge of dot product but I don't see where the half comes in.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( B^2\right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left( \mathbf{B \cdot B} \right)
[/tex]
If you don't know what to do with the dot product, you can expand it out. You should find that you are really just taking the derivative of a sum of three scalar functions. Use the standard differentiation rules for sums and products, then figure out how to re-writeyour answer in terms of
[tex] \mathbf{B \cdot} \frac{ \partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}} [/tex].jason

Last edited:
Ah I see now. I forgot I had two functions that I had to use the product rule on. Silly me!

Thanks for the help Jason.

1. What is the dot product of a vector with its derivative?

The dot product of a vector with its derivative is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a scalar quantity. It is the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the dot product of a vector with its derivative calculated?

The dot product can be calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing the results. It can also be calculated using the magnitude and angle between the vectors, using the formula: A · B = |A| * |B| * cos(θ).

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product of a vector with its derivative?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the projection of one vector onto another, multiplied by the magnitude of the second vector. This can be visualized as the shadow of one vector cast onto the other vector.

4. What is the significance of the dot product of a vector with its derivative in physics?

The dot product has many applications in physics, particularly in mechanics and electromagnetism. In mechanics, it is used to calculate work and energy, and in electromagnetism, it is used to calculate electric and magnetic fields.

5. How is the dot product of a vector with its derivative related to the rate of change of a vector?

The dot product of a vector with its derivative represents the rate of change or the derivative of the magnitude of the vector in the direction of another vector. This is useful in determining the direction of maximum change in a vector field.