Hall Effect Experiment: Confusion and Exploration

In summary, the Hall effect experiment is used to measure the resistivity of a material and involves calculating the Hall coefficient and using it to find the resistivity using the equation ρ = RH*B/VH.
Emc2brain
Hall Effect!

Hey guys, I'm having a little confusion. Have spent too much time in trying to work through this. . .

In performing the Hall Effect experiment, I took data of the Hall voltage versus Temperature. I performed this three times for different fixed B, magnetic fields. The conversion factor for temperature (degrees celsius) to volts is 40 microvolts/Kelvin (not even sure if we use this here?). In the attachment there is a graph of vH vs. T for some B. I feel like I am a blind mouse, I'm confused as to what I am to derive from this relationship. Perhaps the resistivity relationship, but again, not sure. If anyone has any insight I would be most thankful.

I have completed another portion of the experiment vH versus B (for fixed T). Here I obtained a linear relationship. From this I could easily calculate the Hall Coefficient, RH. So I have that completed; its the former that is giving me trouble.

Thanx
Hannah

Attachments

• Hall forum.doc
    19 KB · Views: 260
Physics news on Phys.org
The Hall effect experiment is used to measure the resistivity of a material. From your data you can calculate the resistivity by using the equation: ρ = RH*B/VH where RH is the Hall coefficient, B is the applied magnetic field, and VH is the Hall voltage. To calculate RH, you can use the linear relationship you obtained between VH and B for a fixed temperature. Once you have the value for RH, you can plug it into the equation above to calculate the resistivity.

Hi Hannah,

I can understand your confusion with the Hall Effect experiment. It can be a bit tricky to understand at first, but with some exploration and understanding, it will become clearer.

First, let's talk about the conversion factor for temperature. Yes, we do use it in this experiment. It helps us to convert the Hall voltage (vH) to the Hall coefficient (RH). Remember, the Hall coefficient is the slope of the linear relationship between vH and B, which you have already calculated. So, by using the conversion factor, you can find the RH for different temperatures.

Now, let's look at the graph of vH vs. T for a fixed B. The relationship you see here is the relationship between the Hall voltage and temperature for a fixed magnetic field. This relationship tells us about the temperature dependence of the Hall voltage. By examining this relationship, you can see how the Hall voltage changes as the temperature changes. This can give you insights into the behavior of the material you are studying.

In terms of what you can derive from this relationship, you can look at the slope of the line and see if it is constant or if it changes with temperature. You can also compare the slopes for different magnetic fields and see if there is any correlation between them.

Don't worry if you are still feeling confused. It takes time and practice to fully understand the Hall Effect. Keep exploring and asking questions, and you will eventually gain a better understanding of the concept. Good luck!

1. What is the Hall Effect Experiment?

The Hall Effect Experiment is a scientific experiment used to study the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field. It involves passing an electric current through a conductive material placed in a magnetic field and measuring the resulting voltage across the material.

2. How does the Hall Effect work?

The Hall Effect occurs when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the flow of charged particles, causing them to be deflected to one side. This deflection creates a voltage difference, known as the Hall voltage, across the material which can be measured and analyzed.

3. What is the purpose of the Hall Effect Experiment?

The Hall Effect Experiment is used to study the properties of conductive materials, such as their charge carrier density and mobility. It is also used to determine the presence of magnetic fields and to measure their strength.

4. What are the applications of the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect has a wide range of applications in various fields such as electronics, materials science, and geophysics. It is used in devices such as Hall sensors, which can measure magnetic fields and are commonly found in electronic devices like smartphones and computers.

5. What are some common sources of confusion in the Hall Effect Experiment?

One common source of confusion is understanding the direction of the Hall voltage. Another is the difference between positive and negative charge carriers, and how they affect the Hall voltage. Additionally, the effects of temperature and material impurities can also cause confusion in the results of the experiment.