Why do electromagnetic waves use complex numbers?

In summary, electromagnetic waves are represented by complex numbers because it is easier to work with them.
phabos
why electromagnetic waves are represented by complex numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
My answer is a bit general but I think its pretty relevant:

Waves and harmonic oscillators are represented by sinusoidal functions. Using Euler's theorem you can rewrite them as the (real part) of an imaginary exponential, where the exponent is i*(arg), where the argument is the same one you would use for an oscillator(wt +phase) or a wave (kx - or +wt + phase).

Its a bit more convenient to work with imaginary exponentials since they're more compact, taking their time derivatives to get velocities for example.

Something worth trying to illustrate that example: show that the total energy (T+V) of a harmonic oscillator is proportional to the square of the amplitude. You can do this either way, but I think its more compact if you use y(t) = Re{Ae^(iwt)} instead of Acoswt as your starting point.

EM wave usually are of sinusoidal nature. It is easier to represent harmonic wave ( sinusoidal) in cosine wave:

[tex]\vec E =E_0 cos\;(\omega t -\vec k\cdot \vec R)\;=\; \Re e [E_0 e^{j\omega t}e^{-j\vec k \cdot \vec R}][/tex]And then use phasor form where [itex] \tilde E = E_0 e^{-j\vec k \cdot \vec R} \;\hbox { and }\;\vec E = \Re e [\tilde E \;e^{j\omega t}][/itex]The solution of homogeneous harmonic wave equation is something like:

[tex] \nabla ^2 E +\delta^2 \vec E = 0 \;\hbox { is } E^+ e^{-\delta \vec k \cdot \vec R} +E^- e^{\delta \vec k \cdot \vec R} \;\hbox { where } \delta = \alpha + j\beta[/tex]It is not as common in Physics than in RF and microwave Electronics. In RF, we deal with transmission lines where we can assume the direction of propagation in z direction which really simplify the calculation tremendously. We avoid all the differential equations, PDE, integration and differentiation. In fact I learn in reverse order. I have been using phasor calculation to design filters, matching networks for years before I really start learning EM!

Last edited:

1. What are EM waves and how are they related to complex numbers?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that propagates through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These waves are described by complex numbers, which are used to represent the amplitude and phase of the electric and magnetic fields at a given point in space and time.

2. How do complex numbers relate to the properties of EM waves?

Complex numbers are used to describe the properties of EM waves because they allow for a more comprehensive representation of both the amplitude and phase of the electric and magnetic fields. This is important because the amplitude and phase of EM waves determine their polarization, direction of propagation, and other important characteristics.

3. Can complex numbers be used to calculate the propagation of EM waves?

Yes, complex numbers are an essential tool for calculating the propagation of EM waves. They are used in equations such as the wave equation, which describes how EM waves propagate through space, and the Fresnel equations, which describe the reflection and refraction of EM waves at boundaries between different media.

4. What is the significance of the imaginary component in complex numbers for EM waves?

The imaginary component in complex numbers represents the phase of EM waves, which is a measure of the position of the wave in its cycle. This is important because it allows for a more complete understanding of the properties and behavior of EM waves, such as interference and diffraction.

5. How are complex numbers used in the study of EM waves in different media?

Complex numbers are used to describe how EM waves behave in different media, such as air, water, or glass. The complex refractive index is a measure of how much the speed of light is slowed down in a particular medium, and it is represented by a complex number. This allows for the calculation of how EM waves will reflect, refract, and transmit at boundaries between different media.