Did Reckless Hiking Lead to Tragic Deaths at Vernal Falls?

In summary: I'm sure that the people who built this trail must have known this, but they put a metal bar across the river so people wouldn't be tempted to swim. Unfortunately, some people are just too stupid to know when it's not safe to cross a barricade.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday, http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-3-swept-over-waterfall-presumed-dead-180056413.html" when they were washed over Vernal Falls. My first reaction was sadness for the families but, after reading the story of how this happened, I have to wonder how blatently stupid some people can be.

A sign in English warns visitors not to cross the barricade or swim in the waters above the falls. Bibee said other hikers had shouted that it wasn't safe to go into the rushing river.

Bibee said other members of the victims' group also had been on the wrong side of the barricade when he reached the top of the Mist Trail. One man, he said, was posing near the waterfall with a screaming young girl in his arms while a teenage girl snapped photographs.

"People became unglued on this guy," Bibee said. "They said, 'You know what man, get your *** back over here.'"

As that man walked back, Bibee said, the doomed couple made their way to the rock.

A man believed to be David crossed a metal barricade with Badal above the falls to make their way over slick granite to a rock in the middle of the swift Merced River.

Standing on a slick rock in the middle of a racing river above a 300 foot drop? Really?!? :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yahoo.com said:
The tragedy brings to six the number of people killed in water accidents in Yosemite this year.
Worse than cell phones if you ask me.

I.N.S.

Rhody... :rolleyes:

According to the Yahoo article:
Badal, Homiz David, 22, of Modesto, and Ninos Yacoub, 27, of Turlock were swept to their deaths.

A man believed to be David crossed a metal barricade with Badal above the falls to make their way over slick granite to a rock in the middle of the swift Merced River.

Badal slipped and David reached in for her and fell in. Yacoub had been trying to take their photo, friends said, and he slipped in when he tried to save them.

. . .
It appears that Yacoub tried to save his friend, but certainly the girl and her friend made a fatal mistake in going onto the slippery rocks in the river.

It would be bad enough if there was a pool of water at the bottom, but at the bottom of the falls are rocks.

I cannot comment on the specific details of this tragic event without further information. However, I can say that reckless behavior and disregard for safety measures can often lead to tragic consequences. It is important for individuals to follow warning signs and regulations in natural areas to ensure their own safety and the safety of others. In this case, it is clear that the victims ignored multiple warnings and put themselves in a dangerous situation. As scientists, we have a responsibility to educate the public about potential risks and dangers in natural environments and to promote responsible and safe behavior. Our thoughts go out to the families and loved ones of the victims during this difficult time.

1. What is "hiking without brain cells"?

"Hiking without brain cells" is a colloquial term used to describe the act of hiking without proper preparation or safety precautions.

2. Is it dangerous to hike without brain cells?

Yes, hiking without brain cells can be dangerous as it increases the risk of getting lost, injured, or encountering other hazards on the trail.

3. How can I prevent hiking without brain cells?

To prevent hiking without brain cells, it is important to plan and prepare for your hike by researching the trail, bringing necessary supplies and gear, and informing others of your hiking plans.

4. What are some tips for hiking without brain cells?

Some tips for hiking without brain cells include staying on marked trails, following safety guidelines, knowing your limits, and being aware of your surroundings.

5. Can I still have fun while hiking without brain cells?

While it is important to be cautious and prepared while hiking, it is also possible to have fun. Just make sure to take necessary precautions and follow safety guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable hike.

Back