Is Homeopathic Dog Pain Medicine Effective or Just a Placebo?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homeopathic dog pain spray that was seen on TV. The speaker questions its effectiveness since homeopathy is based on the placebo effect and dogs cannot understand the concept of medicine. The conversation also mentions a personal anecdote about a family member dying from a homeopathic overdose. The conversation ends with a comment about the lack of side effects in homeopathic remedies and the frustration over pets not receiving proper treatment.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
419ENG00Q2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(Source: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FOX4QI/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

I saw this on TV a few years ago (back when I had cable). It's a homeopathic dog pain spray. Yes, that's right. It's a homeopathic spray for your dog.

That means, that AT BEST, it provides comfort to the dog's owner by allowing them to falsely believe their dog isn't in pain anymore. You haven't done anything to help your dog with his or her discomfort, but you feel less guilty about it! This is a real thing... or used to be.

So is this a case of "vicarious" placebo effect? What possible mechanism could make the dog feel better when it's ill-equipped to even understand the concept of medicine. Doesn't the placebo-effect rely, fundamentally, on having a vague understanding of the concept of healing?

Oooooor... maybe this is finally the proof that homeopaths need that homeopathy works by a mechanism other than the placebo effect.
As a side note, my great uncle died from an overdose of his homeopathic medicine... he forgot to take it!

[URL]http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/46928/1413875-badum_tish_super.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Due to the extreme popularity of this thread, I think it should be made a sticky. Mods?

I always get a kick out of reading the "No side effects" on homeopathic remedies. In order to have a "side effect," something must first have an effect!

Regarding the spray; it actually really pisses me off. People's pets won't be properly treated and will still be in pain.

1. What is homeopathic dog pain medicine?

Homeopathic dog pain medicine is a type of alternative medicine that uses highly diluted substances, such as herbs and minerals, to stimulate the body's natural healing process and provide pain relief for dogs.

2. How does homeopathic dog pain medicine work?

Homeopathic dog pain medicine works on the principle of "like cures like," meaning that a substance that would cause symptoms in a healthy dog can be used in very small doses to treat those same symptoms in a sick dog. It is believed that these highly diluted substances stimulate the body's healing mechanisms and reduce pain and inflammation.

3. Is homeopathic dog pain medicine safe?

Homeopathic dog pain medicine is generally considered safe, as the substances used are highly diluted and have minimal side effects. However, it is always important to consult with a veterinarian before giving any medication to your dog, including homeopathic remedies.

4. Can homeopathic dog pain medicine be used for all types of pain?

Homeopathic dog pain medicine can be used for a variety of pain types, such as joint pain, muscle pain, and nerve pain. However, it may not be as effective for severe or acute pain, and in these cases, traditional pain medication may be necessary.

5. How do I choose the right homeopathic dog pain medicine?

Choosing the right homeopathic dog pain medicine can be difficult, as there are many different remedies available. It is best to consult with a veterinarian or a qualified homeopathic practitioner who can recommend the appropriate remedy based on your dog's specific symptoms and needs.

Back