Zero-point energy cancelled by its gravitational energy?

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that as we look smaller and smaller in to the zero-point field the (positive) energy diverges. However, that energy has a mass equivalent which therefore has a negative gravitational potential self-energy, dP. This relationship between dE and dP is used to calculate the length scale dx at which the positive energy diverges and the zero-point field has a mass equivalent.
johne1618
Consider the uncertainty principle:

dp * dx = hbar

For photons we have the relation:

E = p c

Substituting into the above uncertainty principle:

dE = hbar c / dx (1)

As we look at a smaller and smaller piece of the zero-point field the (positive) energy diverges.

But that energy has a mass equivalent which therefore has a negative gravitational potential self-energy, dP.

dP = - G dM^2 / dx (2)

As dx -> 0 then dP -> -infinity as fast as dE -> infinity so they cancel each other out.

If we have:

dE = -dP = dM c^2

and substitute this relation into (1) and (2) we get a relation for the length scale dx:

dx = sqrt(G hbar / c^3)

This is the Planck length.

I would guess that space-time quantisation is equivalent to the zero-point energy at each point being canceled out by its negative gravitational potential energy.

Space news on Phys.org
Hrmm...I wish I knew more on this. Maybe someone else knows something about this? I didn't think that zero point energy had any gravitational field.

I assume you are making a case against ZPE as the source of dark energy.

Chronos said:
I assume you are making a case against ZPE as the source of dark energy.

Yes - I think the zero-point energy at each point in space is exactly canceled by its negative gravitational energy.

I speculate that the dark energy/negative pressure is caused by advanced gravitational waves which impinge on the accelerating matter in the Universe and lead to that matter having an inertia - a possible mechanism for Mach's principle.

Last edited:
This is actually a more technical question than the initial responses and question seem to assume. The appropriate framework for this question is quantum field theory in curved spacetime (or quantum theories for gravitation). There are others on the forum who are much more proficient and technically savvy than I am on this issue but an interesting paper was recently written by Maggiore which deals with this issue.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.1782

Basic conclusion is that the ZPF contribute a subdominant 'dark' contribution leaving the nature of the dominant contribution to dark energy a problem for current research trends in theoretical physics. This is a fairly technical paper and I probably need to really sit down and read it properly, consider his derivations etc (as opposed to just reading through it somewhat briefly) - I wonder if anyone else has seen this paper or has any strong feelings on it one way or the other? I'd be glad to hear any thoughts on the paper from people.

As for Johne1618's post above, your line of approach is along that of backreaction in cosmological models. Be aware that your model requires a mechanism that can generate such horizon scale gravitational waves whilst remaining a subdominant contribution to perturbations (e.g. tensor modes are suppressed relative to scalar perturbations) - there are constraints from the CMB, CMB Polarisation, formation of large scale structure, growth history of the Universe etc. You would need to provide more explicit technical details before I can really comment on the viability of such a proposal. Similar backreaction effects have been considered in research by the likes of Buchert, Coley, etc. See, for example,

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.3084

Hope this is of some interest and help.

Last edited:

1. What is zero-point energy and how is it related to gravitational energy?

Zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It is a result of the uncertainty principle and is present even in a vacuum. Gravitational energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. These two energies are related because zero-point energy can contribute to the overall energy of a system, including the gravitational energy.

2. Why is zero-point energy cancelled by its gravitational energy?

This cancellation occurs because the zero-point energy is affected by the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter, including the matter that makes up the object's own gravitational field. This leads to a decrease in the zero-point energy and an increase in the gravitational energy, resulting in a cancellation of the two energies.

3. Is zero-point energy cancelled in all situations?

No, zero-point energy cancellation only occurs in situations where the gravitational energy is dominant. In cases where the zero-point energy is much larger than the gravitational energy, the cancellation will not occur.

4. What are the implications of zero-point energy cancellation?

One implication is that it may help explain the observed accelerating expansion of the universe. The cancellation of zero-point energy with the gravitational energy of the universe could result in a net negative energy, causing the expansion to accelerate. It may also have implications for understanding the nature of dark energy and the cosmological constant.

5. Are there any experiments or observations that support the concept of zero-point energy cancellation?

There is currently no direct experimental evidence for zero-point energy cancellation. However, the concept is supported by theoretical calculations and models, and its implications have been observed in the accelerating expansion of the universe. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand and confirm the concept of zero-point energy cancellation.