HELP Chem BS+Phys BA, Chem BA+Applied Math BS, or Chem BS+Math/Phys minor?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ran13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Minor
In summary, the person speaking is a junior transfer student with one year left to complete their undergraduate degree. They had to choose a major based on time and financial constraints, so they chose chemistry with the hope of taking physical chemistry. Their math background includes Calculus I-III and ODEs. They are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics with a focus on theoretical and mathematical concepts, specifically in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and nuclear/particles. They are considering different options for their major and minor, including a chemistry major with a minor in physics and math, a chemistry major with a BA in physics, or a chemistry major with a BS in applied math. They are seeking advice and have a deadline to finalize their schedule.
ran13
In short I'm a junior transfer with 1 year left to do my undergrad degree (constrained by time but mostly $). The physics major was too spread out for me to complete (since I only got to mechanics/EM last year); I chose chem because of the possibility of taking pchem. My math is Calc I-III and ODEs. So I'm on a chem track... For better or for worse.

I'm interested in grad physics, and I guess I have mainly fundamental theoretical/math interests: quantum (mech+EM) and 'what comes after', and nuclear/particles.

1. Now with this major, is an applied math BS (chem becomes BA) useless?
2. Another option for me is to do a minor in physics (modern physics, and 2 electives) and a minor in math (proofs, linear algebra, 1 elective) with the chem BS. Is this better or worse?
3. Last option is a Chem BS and Physics BA... How about this?

My schedule deadline is Wednesday and my head is about to explode :( ANY advice is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone at all, please??

1. What is the difference between the different degree options in chemistry and math/physics?

The main difference between the different degree options is the focus of the curriculum. The Chem BS+Phys BA program combines a strong foundation in chemistry with a broad understanding of physics, while the Chem BA+Applied Math BS program emphasizes the application of mathematics to chemistry. The Chem BS+Math/Phys minor program provides a comprehensive education in both chemistry and math/physics, with a minor in a specific area of focus.

2. Which degree option would be best for a career in research?

All three degree options can lead to a successful career in research. However, the Chem BS+Math/Phys minor program may be the most beneficial for those interested in research, as it provides a well-rounded education in both chemistry and math/physics, which are essential for advanced research in the field.

3. Can I switch between degree programs after starting my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch between degree programs within the chemistry and math/physics departments. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to ensure that all requirements are met and that the switch will not delay graduation.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites for these degree options?

Yes, there are prerequisites for each degree option. These may include certain high school courses, college-level courses, or placement tests. It is important to review the specific requirements for each program before applying to ensure that all prerequisites are met.

5. What career opportunities are available with these degree options?

Graduates of these degree programs can pursue a wide range of careers in fields such as research, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, education, and more. The specific career opportunities will depend on the individual's interests, skills, and experience, as well as the chosen degree program and any additional areas of focus or minors.