Mathematical modeling: physics degree or math degree

In summary, the math portion of a double major in biology and math is a good training ground for mathematical modelling of ecosystems and physiological systems, but a physics degree may provide more directly applicable skills.
vicsmithvic
I am currently a double major in biology and math, interested in mathematical modeling of ecosystems and physiological systems.

The math portion involves modeling and pure math, but there isn't a lot of concentration on knowing physical laws. I'm not sure if I would miss all the knowledge about waves, electricity, statistical mechanics, fluid mechanics, etc., and I don't know if that'd be a disadvantage for when I apply to grad school for applied math. Also, given that I'm a junior, I will only be finishing the bare minimum that allows me to get a physics degree, while I'm already into the math major.

Still, I'm doing well in my pure math classes and enjoy them, but I don't know if being unable to take stat mech/fluid mech/etc. will be a disadvantage when it comes to mathematical modeling of say, cardiovascular systems, for research (that would show up for my grad school transcript). I'm already self studying programming, so I have limited free time.

What is the best option when it comes to mathematical modeling? A math degree (most of it is proofs, which I see in texts like smale's dynamical systems) or a physics degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just going to go out on a limb and put this out there: have you considered an *applied math* major? If your university does not offer it, take a look at the programs of those who do, and see if these are the courses you'd need/want to do.

I've seen a few applied math courses aimed at modelling/computation.

http://maths.anu.edu.au/study/bcomptlsci/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not chain yourself to what a major expects of you. If you are interested in something interdisciplinary, you should choose the assortment of courses and other activities you pursue yourself. Major requirements are just a guideline.

I think some physics, and other courses directly related to modeling should be very good training.

Hi vicsmithvic,

deRham is right, don't let the requirements of a degree confine what you take. The field you're looking to get into is quite well established and there may be professors in the math department that can advise you on courses that would be useful to take.

An applied math degree in your case would probably be more directly applicable, however, there are some invaluable skills taught through the physics program that you may find useful in modelling. For this reason, it makes sense to ground yourself in a few physics courses--in particular, classes grounded on mathematical methods for physicists, and something like an advanced classical mechanics course to get a good sense on conservation laws and methods of approximation.

In terms of the mathematics courses, you'll want a very strong background in:
  • (ordinary and partial) differential equations
  • dynamical systems
  • linear algebra
  • computational methods
  • analysis
  • statistics and probability

In terms of a biology background, you'll want to take a survey of courses that give you a general understanding of:
  • ecosystems;
  • cell bio, and;
  • physiology (animal or human).

Other physics courses you've listed (waves, electricity, fluid mechanics, etc.) may add some implicit understanding to natural processes, but this is something you can develop as you come to understand differential equations and their applications to biological systems.

The short answer: do the applied math/bio majors, but consider a couple of mathematical physics courses/advanced classical mechanics. You will not be any worse off than a guy coming out with a physics degree.

Both a math degree and a physics degree can provide a solid foundation for mathematical modeling. However, the specific focus and approach may differ between the two disciplines. A physics degree would provide a strong understanding of physical laws and principles, which can be useful in modeling systems such as ecosystems and physiological systems. On the other hand, a math degree would focus more on the mathematical concepts and techniques used in modeling, such as differential equations and statistical analysis.

Ultimately, the best option for you would depend on your specific interests and goals. If you are primarily interested in understanding the physical laws and principles behind natural systems, a physics degree may be more suitable. However, if you are more interested in the mathematical techniques and modeling approaches, a math degree may be a better fit.

It is also important to note that many graduate programs in applied math or related fields may have specific requirements or preferences for undergraduate majors. It would be beneficial to research the programs you are interested in and see what their specific requirements are.

Additionally, while self-studying programming can be useful for mathematical modeling, it may also be beneficial to take courses in computer science or programming as part of your degree, regardless of whether you choose a math or physics major.

Overall, both a math and physics degree can provide valuable skills and knowledge for mathematical modeling. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals in order to make the best decision for your academic and career path.

What is mathematical modeling?

Mathematical modeling is the process of creating a mathematical representation of a real-world system or phenomenon. It involves using mathematical equations, data, and assumptions to simulate and predict the behavior of the system or phenomenon.

What is the difference between a physics degree and a math degree in terms of mathematical modeling?

A physics degree focuses on applying mathematical principles to understand and explain physical phenomena, while a math degree focuses on the abstract study of mathematical concepts and theories. Both degrees can provide a strong foundation for mathematical modeling, but a physics degree may have a more practical and applied approach.

Which degree is more beneficial for a career in mathematical modeling?

Both a physics degree and a math degree can lead to a successful career in mathematical modeling. It ultimately depends on the specific field or industry you are interested in. For example, a physics degree may be more beneficial for modeling in the fields of engineering or physics, while a math degree may be more useful for modeling in economics or finance.

Do I need a degree in physics or math to be a mathematical modeler?

While having a degree in either physics or math can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to be a mathematical modeler. Many professionals in this field come from diverse backgrounds and may have degrees in fields such as engineering, computer science, or economics. However, a strong understanding of mathematics and the ability to apply it in a practical manner is essential for success in this field.

What skills are important for a career in mathematical modeling?

In addition to a strong mathematical background, other important skills for a career in mathematical modeling include critical thinking, problem-solving, programming, and data analysis. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important, as mathematical modelers often work with interdisciplinary teams to solve complex problems.