Microsoft Word Problem - Help Fix Red Lines & Equation Issues

In summary: Latex is great for things like research papers and lab reports but it can be tricky to get everything just right.
rushton
Ok I know this isn't exactly a direct physics problem but I wasn't sure where to post this.
Im writing up a lab report in word 2008 mac and whenever I insert an equation it pushes the text down a little and it sits above the text even though its all technically still the same line.
Also the red lines for spelling mistakes now appear above words not below them. I have spent a good hour googling and trying to figure this out but I can't fix it.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Oh and I have checked that the wrapping style for the object is set to inline with text.

Probably not want you would like to hear, but learn to use Latex this will resolve all these issues.

The title is complete. Does more need to be said!?

I tend to do any non-text thing I need in a separate document, print it as a separate pdf, use the pdf snap-shot tool to cut out the thing I want from the pdf doc I just created, then paste that picture into the .doc. Then the .doc only has text and bitmaps in, and gets much less confused.

If anyone else has this problem I figured it out. If you go to the formatting palette and open the styles tab you will notice that the current style of the selected text will be set to normal + lowered 13 (well mine was 13 I'm sure it can be all kinds of numbers). I just figured out the sections that had this setting and cleared all the formatting. The just had to re-do my bold and underlined sections and so on.

I am slowly teaching myself latex but I am slow with it so when I need something done fast I just use word.

1. Why are there red lines under my words in Microsoft Word?

The red lines indicate that there is a spelling or grammar error in your document. This could be a misspelled word, a missing punctuation mark, or a sentence fragment.

2. How do I fix the red lines in my Microsoft Word document?

To fix the red lines, you can right-click on the underlined word and select the correct spelling or grammar option from the suggested list. You can also go to the Review tab and click on "Spelling and Grammar" to run a full spell check on your document.

3. What should I do if Microsoft Word is not recognizing my equations?

If your equations are not being recognized by Microsoft Word, make sure that you have the correct equation format selected. You can do this by going to the Insert tab and selecting "Equation" from the Symbols section. Also, check that your equation is properly formatted using the equation tools in the Design tab.

4. My equations are not displaying correctly in Microsoft Word. How can I fix this?

If your equations are not displaying correctly, try updating your version of Microsoft Word or reinstalling it. You can also try converting your equations to an image and inserting them into your document. Additionally, check that you have the correct font and size selected for your equations.

5. How can I troubleshoot other issues with equations in Microsoft Word?

If you are experiencing other issues with equations in Microsoft Word, you can try clearing the cache or temporary files in your document. You can also try copying and pasting the equations into a new document to see if the issue persists. If all else fails, you can contact Microsoft support for further assistance.