Looking for reading suggestions

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking reading suggestions for complex analysis. They mention being a novice in the subject and wanting to reach a graduate level understanding through self study. They have looked at reviews on Amazon but would rather hear thoughts from others before making a purchase. One person recommends the book Visual Complex Analysis, while another suggests supplementing it with another book such as Alfhors or Complex Analysis. A third person also recommends Visual Complex Analysis but suggests pairing it with Complex Analysis by Serge Lang or An Introduction to the Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable by E.T. Copson. The recommended books have varying levels of assumed background knowledge.
Minimonster
As the title says I'm looking for reading suggestions for complex analysis. I'm a novice at the subject and looking to do some self study to bring myself up to a graduate level of understanding. I've been looking at some reviews on Amazon on such books, but I think I would rather hear your thoughts here before I make any purchases. Thanks to all in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Visual Complex Analysis is my favorite math book of all time. Even if you're not that much of a visual thinker, the book might be worth a look because it will teach you. If you're going for graduate level, though, I would supplement it with some other book. The only other book I'm familiar with is Alfhors, which isn't bad, but I don't know if I would recommend it, since I don't have much to compare it to. There's also a free one available online by Robert Ash, I think.

I too really like Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham, but not alone. I like Complex Analysis by Serge Lang. You did not state how much background you have, but Lang is written to only assume elementary calculus which makes some early parts disjointed and long winded. Also An introduction to the theory of functions of a complex variable by E. T Copson.

What are some good books to read?

There are countless good books to read, as it ultimately depends on individual preferences. Some popular titles include "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "1984" by George Orwell, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's always a good idea to ask friends or family for recommendations or check out bestseller lists.

What are some genres to explore when looking for a new book?

Some popular genres to explore include fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, and self-help. It's also worth considering sub-genres within these categories, such as historical fiction or young adult fantasy, to find something that suits your interests.

How can I find new books to read?

There are many ways to find new books to read. You can browse bookstores or libraries, ask for recommendations from friends or book clubs, follow book bloggers or influencers online, or use websites like Goodreads to discover new titles based on your reading history.

Are there any websites or resources that can help me find new books to read?

Yes, there are several websites and resources that can help you find new books to read. Some popular options include Goodreads, BookBub, and Book Riot. These websites offer personalized recommendations, book reviews, and curated lists to help you discover new titles.

What should I do if I'm having trouble finding a book to read?

If you're having trouble finding a book to read, try expanding your search to different genres or asking for recommendations from friends, family, or book club members. You can also browse bookstores or libraries and read book reviews to get a better sense of what you might enjoy. Don't be afraid to try something new and step out of your comfort zone!