Calculate the angle between the displacement vector and the force vector

In summary, the problem involves a force F = 8i-3i N acting on a particle with a displacement Δr = 2i + j m. The angle between F and Δr can be found using the equation Angle = cos-1 (A.B/ AB). After calculating the dot product between F and Δr and finding the norms of both vectors, the angle is determined to be approximately 47.12 degrees. However, it is important to check for any special conditions or mistakes when submitting the answer.
Absolutism

Homework Statement

A force F = 8i-3i N acts on a particle that undergoes a displacement Δr = 2i + j m.
(b) What is the angle between F and Δr? (state your answer to three significant figures)

Homework Equations

Angle = cos-1 (A.B/ AB)

The Attempt at a Solution

W=13.1 J
AB= 8.5*2.23= 19
cos-1 (13.1/19)= 46.4

Physics news on Phys.org
I will assume that the force is [itex]F=8\hat{i}-3\hat{j}[/itex]

the dot product between F and delta-r:
[itex](8,-3)\cdot (2,1) = 8\cdot 2 + (-3)\cdot 1 = 13[/itex]
the norm of F:
[itex]||F||=\sqrt{8^2 +3^2}[/itex]
norm of delta-r :
[itex]||\Delta r|| =\sqrt{1^2+2^2}[/itex]
I got 47.12 degrees but it seems you have used different conditions :/

I got 47.121 another time when I did not round, but even that gave me a wrong answer L: I am not sure what's wrong

If you are sending it to some kind of online checking system:
a. Check to see if they want it in radians.
b. Check if all of the starting conditions are correct.
c. Take into consideration that they make mistakes too.

degrees

Based on the given information, the angle between the displacement vector (Δr) and the force vector (F) can be calculated using the formula: Angle = cos-1 (A.B/ AB). Plugging in the values, we get an angle of 46.4 degrees. This means that the displacement and force vectors are at an angle of 46.4 degrees with respect to each other.

What is the displacement vector?

The displacement vector is a vector that describes the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

What is the force vector?

The force vector is a vector that represents the push or pull acting on an object.

What is the angle between the displacement vector and the force vector?

The angle between the displacement vector and the force vector is the angle formed between the two vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail.

How do you calculate the angle between the displacement vector and the force vector?

The angle between the displacement vector and the force vector can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹((d∙f)/(|d|*|f|)), where d is the displacement vector and f is the force vector.

Why is it important to calculate the angle between the displacement vector and the force vector?

Calculating the angle between the displacement vector and the force vector can help determine the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object, which is crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of an object in a given system.