Simple Pendulum: Amplitude, velocity, and angular position.

In summary: If you think that reading a book is a waste of time, then you're probably not going to enjoy the class.In summary, the period of the pendulum is T=2.20 s, the maximum velocity is v=24.8 cm/s, and the phase constant is ω=0.707.
howsockgothap
θθ

Homework Statement

phys.png

A simple pendulum of mass 20.0 g is suspended by a length of string 1.0 m. It is pulled from equilibrium so that it's raised 10.0 cm and released. Angular position given by θ(t)=θmaxcos(ωt+∅)

What is the period? What is the maximum velocity of the pendulum? What is the phase constant if the mass passes through its lowest point at t=0?

Homework Equations

θ(t)=θmaxcos(ωt+∅)
v0=ωA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found T using gravity and length and am trying to get maximum velocity. My confusion stems mostly from the fact that our professor only discussed acceleration in terms of pendulums and then very briefly.

I thought that I could use v=ωA but I'm a little confused about how I'm supposed to get A for the pendulum, can I just plug in Lsinθ?

For the last part it seems to me I can just use θ=θmaxcos(∅) since t=0, but then I get caught up on what to plug in for θ. It's at its lowest point, so it seems I should simply plug in 0 and am then left with 0=θmaxcos(∅). How do I get θmax? I'm guessing this is tied into my difficulties with part 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write F = m a for the pendulum bob, remembering that there is motion in two directions. This can be done in x & y, or you can do it in r and theta (if you have talked about polar coordinates); either way should get you to the same final result.

I'm not sure what you mean by the quantity V sub o; what is your definition for this?

V sub o was velocity, but that is not something I'm sure of, only a wild guess based on equations in our text because our prof didn't discuss this.

The V almost certainly represents a velocity, but the subscript o usually denotes a particular time, often time t = 0, but not always.

I'd bet that your prof expects you to READ the book, not just look at the pictures and equations. That would be almost like listening to more lecture, and it would cover more ground. Try it; you may like it.

Hey man, as much as I appreciate the passive aggressive insult, I have, unbelievably, read the book. Several times, in fact. I obviously still don't understand it, which is why I went here for help.

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a mass attached to a string or rod, suspended from a fixed point. It is used to demonstrate the laws of motion and the concept of periodic motion.

2. How is amplitude defined for a simple pendulum?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the pendulum from its equilibrium position. It is measured in degrees or radians.

3. What is the relationship between amplitude and velocity in a simple pendulum?

As the amplitude of a pendulum increases, its velocity also increases. This is because the pendulum has more potential energy at higher amplitudes, which is converted into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth.

4. How is angular position measured in a simple pendulum?

Angular position is measured in radians, with 0 radians being the equilibrium position of the pendulum. This can also be measured in degrees, with 0 degrees being the vertical position of the pendulum.

5. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the acceleration due to gravity. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a heavier pendulum or a stronger gravitational pull will have a shorter period.