Correcting Mistakes in Partial Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the answer to a mathematical equation. The person realizes that there were mistakes made in their work and corrects them. They then come to the correct solution.
aruwin
I have calculated 3 times and I still don't get the answer. The answer should be 0.
Here's the question and my work. Which part am I wrong?

f(x,y) = 1/√(1-2xy+y^2)

Prove that ∂/∂x{(1-x^2)*∂f/∂x} + ∂/∂y{(y^2)*∂f/∂y} = 0

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
The powers "-1/2" in the very first step for both fx and fy should be "+1/2".

haruspex said:
The powers "-1/2" in the very first step for both fx and fy should be "+1/2".

I think my first partial derivative is correct.

because the power of the original function is +1/2 so when we differentiate it,it becomes
1/2 - 1 = -1/2

But I don't get 0 for the final answer

Sorry, you're right. The mistakes are in the last line.
In fact, hardly any of the last line looks right to me!
E.g. the first term should be (writing g = 1/f):
[-2xyg3 + 3y2(1-x2)g]/g6
No?

haruspex said:
Sorry, you're right. The mistakes are in the last line.
In fact, hardly any of the last line looks right to me!
E.g. the first term should be (writing g = 1/f):
[-2xyg3 + 3y2(1-x2)g]/g6
No?

Yeah, I know what went wrong now :D I used the quotient rule incorrectly.
Thanks, I have solved this! :)

Last edited:

1. What is a partial differential problem?

A partial differential problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a partial differential equation. These equations are used to model physical phenomena that involve multiple variables, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. How is a partial differential problem different from an ordinary differential problem?

Unlike ordinary differential equations, which involve only one independent variable, partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. This makes them more complex and often requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques to solve them.

3. What are some common methods for solving partial differential problems?

Some common methods for solving partial differential problems include separation of variables, finite difference methods, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the available resources.

4. Can partial differential problems have real-world applications?

Yes, partial differential problems have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, and their solutions can provide valuable insights and predictions.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving partial differential problems?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with solving partial differential problems. These include the complexity of the equations, the need for advanced mathematical skills, and the time and computational resources required to obtain accurate solutions. Additionally, the solutions of these problems may not always have closed-form solutions, making numerical methods necessary.