Lattice Points and Equilateral Triangles: A Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a triangle with lattice points as vertices cannot be equilateral. The proof involves showing that the sine of one of the angles in an equilateral triangle is irrational, which leads to the conclusion that the vertices of the triangle must not be lattice points. However, this is not sufficient to prove the statement, as shown by a counterexample. The conversation then delves into different approaches to prove the statement, including using Pick's theorem and vector geometry. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the area of the triangle to prove that it must be rational, and Pick's theorem is also mentioned as a possible formal proof.
courtrigrad
Hello all

In a ordinary syatem of rectangular coordinates, the points for which both coordinates are integers are called lattice points . Prove that a triangle whose vertices are lattice points cannot be equilateral. Ok so I know that in a equilateral triangle the angle measures are [tex] \frac{\pi}{3} [/tex].Assuming that we do have an equilateral triangle then we know that [tex] \sin \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex] which is irrational. Hence we cannot have lattice points.

Is this sufficient enough to qualify as a proof?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
Hello all

In a ordinary syatem of rectangular coordinates, the points for which both coordinates are integers are called lattice points . Prove that a triangle whose vertices are lattice points cannot be equilateral. Ok so I know that in a equilateral triangle the angle measures are [tex] \frac{\pi}{3} [/tex].Assuming that we do have an equilateral triangle then we know that [tex] \sin \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex] which is irrational. Hence we cannot have lattice points.

Thanks
Nope. The isosceles right triangle formed by the points (0,0), (1,0), (0,1) has a hypotenuse of length [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]. :smile:

but that's a isoceles right triangle. I am talking about only an equilateral triangle. The definition of an equilateral triangle is that: all angles and all sides are equal

Thanks

courtrigrad said:
but that's a isoceles right triangle. I am talking about only an equilateral triangle. The definition of an equilateral triangle is that: all angles and all sides are equal

Thanks
Your proof rested on the fact that the sine of one of the angles is irrational. I showed that this does not prove your statement since sines of angles of triangles exist that are irrational in the lattice, not that an equilateral triangle exists. In other words, you need to find another approach or further your statement into one about the sides of the triangle. :)

Last edited:

No. You've arrived at a key step, but you haven't finished the proof. You haven't even talked about the vertices of the triangle yet!

I showed that this does not prove your statement since sines of angles of triangles exist that are irrational in the lattice, not that an equilateral triangle exists.
but you are only trying to prove it for only equilateral triangles .

courtrigrad said:
but you are only trying to prove it for only equilateral triangles .
Let's try a direct approach. What are you implying by the fact that the sine of pi/3 is irrational ?

Nothing in your argument distinguishes between equalateral, isosceles, or even scalene triangles. If it was valid, you would have disproven the existence of the triangle hypermorphism demonstrated. :tongue2:

ok so because [tex] \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex] is irrational, this implies that the distance from the vertex to the midpoint of the base is irrational. But this should be rational because of the laattice points?

Thanks

Nope. Consider hypermorphism's example!

I am not sure if this is correct but:

If we have an equilateral triangle of sides of length [tex] a [/tex] then the altitude is [tex] \sqrt{a^2 - (\frac{a}{2})^2} = a\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]. So the area is [tex] a^2\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex] which is irrational. This is irrational area, but any triangle with lattice points has a rational area.

Is this correct?

PS: How would I use the irrationality of [tex] \sin \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/tex] to prove this because my text (Courant) suggests it?

Last edited:
I am not sure whether to assume that the area of a triangle with lattice points is rational.

courtrigrad said:
I am not sure whether to assume that the area of a triangle with lattice points is rational.

No you can't. It's generally not true.

Try a proof by contradiction. Assume the triangle is equilateral with lattice points.

A couple of hints:

1) Translate the triangle so that one point is at the origin. If the original triangle had lattice points, then so does the translated triangle.

2) Write the coordinates of the translated triangle in polar form.

Last edited:
No you can't. It's generally not true.

Actually, I think this one's right -- I think the area of a polygon whose vertices lie on a lattice is a rational function of the number of points lying on the polygon, and the number lying inside the polygon.

In any case, you could use vector geometry to prove the area of a triangle with vertices on the lattice must be rational. (which is how I would have done the problem)

And no, you should not assume it's rational, you have to prove it, or reference a theorem. :tongue2:

Hurkyl said:
Actually, I think this one's right -- I think the area of a polygon whose vertices lie on a lattice is a rational function of the number of points lying on the polygon, and the number lying inside the polygon.

Oops! Yes, you're right. Sorry about that!

courtrigrad said:

You'll find Pick's theorem intriguing. :smile:

So I take it that If I use Pick's Theorem, then I have a formal proof? Also I would I convert the cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates?

courtrigrad said:
So I take it that If I use Pick's Theorem, then I have a formal proof? Also I would I convert the cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates?

If you're allowed to use Pick's theorem, then you should be fine. Like Hurkyl
said you can also use vector geometry to prove the area must be rational.

Don't worry about the polar coordinates. I was referring to a different way
to solve the problem, not related to the area of the triangle. I didn't realize that the area had to be rational.

I think the area method might be easier. But if you're interested I've described my idea below.

Translate to the origin, then write the cartesian coordinates of the triangle vertices like this:
[tex](0,0) [/tex]
[tex](Acos\alpha, Asin\alpha) [/tex]
[tex](Acos(\alpha+60),Asin(\alpha+60))[/tex]

A is length of the triangle.

If [tex]Acos\alpha[/tex] and [tex]Asin\alpha[/tex] are integers then using the cosine sum formula you can prove that [tex]Acos(\alpha+60)[/tex] is not an integer (proving the third point is not a lattice point leading to a contradiction). Or you can prove that [tex]Asin(\alpha+60)[/tex] (the y coordinate instead) is not an integer using the sine sum formula.

Pick, that's it! I couldn't remember its name.

With Pick's it's a beautiful and elegant proof.

Let one side of the triangle be [itex]l[/itex]. Now [itex]l^2[/itex] has to be integral because all the vertices lie on lattice points.

The area of the triangle is given by

[tex]\frac{1}{2}l^2\sin{\frac{\pi}{3}} = \frac{1}{2}l^2\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

which is irrational. But the area is rational by Pick's theorem, and we have a contradiction. Hence no lattice point triangle can be equilateral.

What is a lattice point?

A lattice point is a point in a two-dimensional grid that has integer coordinates. In other words, the x and y coordinates are both whole numbers.

What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a triangle with three equal sides and angles.

What is the connection between lattice points and equilateral triangles?

The vertices of an equilateral triangle can be represented by lattice points. In other words, the coordinates of each vertex will be whole numbers in a two-dimensional grid.

How can we prove that the vertices of an equilateral triangle are lattice points?

We can use the Pythagorean theorem and the properties of equilateral triangles to show that the coordinates of the vertices must be whole numbers. This can be done by setting up equations and solving for the coordinates.

Are there any real-world applications of this proof?

Yes, this proof has many applications in mathematics and various fields of science. For example, it can be used in crystallography to determine the symmetry of crystals, which is important in material science and chemistry.