Who is the artist who drew pictures on the backs of the checks he wrote?

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, there was a famous artist, Picasso, who allegedly drew pictures on the backs of his checks in the hopes that people would keep them instead of cashing them. However, there is no concrete evidence of this and it is more likely that he would pay small amounts with checks and people would prefer to keep the check with his autograph. This story has been told many times, but there is no proof of its validity.
bluemoonKY
When I was English class in either the 7th or 8th grade, my English teacher told the class that there was a famous artist who drew pictures on the backs of his checks. The famous artist drew pictures on the backs of his checks because he thought (correctly, according to my teacher) that people would tend not to cash the checks in order to have a picture drawn by this famous artist.

I don't remember who this artist was. Is someone going to ask me "what does it matter?" I'm curious about who it was. That's why it matters to me.

What famous artist drew pictures on the backs of the checks that he wrote?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a Picasso story. I have no idea if it's true, though.

I've heard this story several times (and yes, it is about Picasso) but I have never seen ANY reference to anyone actually having such a check and I believe that if they existed, some art historian would have tracked down at least a few of them and they would be in a book. I have heard it more reputably stated that he would pay small amounts with checks in the (correct) belief that people would rather have his autograph than cash the check.

It's a great story, though.

1. Who is the artist who drew pictures on the backs of the checks he wrote?

The artist who drew pictures on the backs of the checks he wrote is Salvador Dali.

2. Why did Salvador Dali draw pictures on the backs of his checks?

Dali used the backs of his checks as a canvas for his art as a way to challenge the traditional notion of art and to add an element of surprise and creativity to the mundane act of writing checks.

3. Are these checks considered valuable pieces of art?

Yes, these checks are considered valuable pieces of art. They were intentionally created by Dali and have been sold for high prices at auctions and art galleries.

4. How many checks did Salvador Dali create?

It is estimated that Dali created over 100 checks during his lifetime, with the majority of them being drawn in the 1960s and 1970s.

5. What materials did Salvador Dali use to create his check art?

Dali used a variety of materials to create his check art, including pen, ink, watercolor, and even collage. He often incorporated his signature melting clocks and other surrealist imagery into his check designs.