Is Ice Possible Inside the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of ice forming inside a sun due to extreme pressures and high temperatures. However, it is concluded that at such extreme temperatures, compounds do not exist and therefore there is no water to form ice. This idea is likened to a snowball's chance in hell and compared to the dessert, Baked Alaska.
nefertum
i understand that this may seem like a impossible theory but is it possible that ice could form inside a sun, i understand that the core of a sun is extremely hot but due to the incredible pressures invovled could hydrogen or another gas be compressed so much that it could form ice?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nefertum said:
i understand that this may seem like a impossible theory but is it possible that ice could form inside a sun, i understand that the core of a sun is extremely hot but due to the incredible pressures invovled could hydrogen or another gas be compressed so much that it could form ice?

At that high temperatures there are no compounds, they decompose at several thousands degrees to the elements. So - assuming by ice you mean solidified water - there is no water to begin with.

nefertum said:

That would be known as, "A snowball's chance in hell".

Makes me think of Baked Alaska.

1. Can water exist as ice inside the Sun?

No, water cannot exist as ice inside the Sun due to the extreme temperatures and pressures present in the Sun's core. The core of the Sun reaches temperatures of up to 27 million degrees Fahrenheit, which is far too hot for water molecules to remain in a solid state.

2. Why do some scientists believe that ice may be possible inside the Sun?

Some scientists believe that ice may be possible inside the Sun due to the presence of other elements, such as hydrogen and oxygen, which are necessary for the formation of water. These elements have been detected in the Sun's atmosphere and could potentially combine to form water molecules in the cooler outer layers of the Sun.

3. How would ice form inside the Sun?

If ice were to form inside the Sun, it would likely be due to a process called "nuclear fusion." This is the process by which hydrogen atoms combine to form helium, releasing enormous amounts of energy. In the outer layers of the Sun, where temperatures are relatively cooler, hydrogen and oxygen atoms could potentially combine to form water molecules, which could then freeze if temperatures drop low enough.

4. Would the presence of ice inside the Sun change its overall behavior?

Yes, the presence of ice inside the Sun could potentially change its overall behavior. Ice would alter the composition of the Sun's atmosphere and could affect the way energy is transferred and released, potentially impacting the Sun's temperature and output of radiation. However, the amount of ice present would likely be too small to significantly alter the Sun's behavior.

5. How would we be able to detect ice inside the Sun?

We could potentially detect ice inside the Sun by studying the Sun's spectrum, which is a measurement of the different wavelengths of light emitted by the Sun. Water molecules have distinct absorption lines in their spectrum, which could indicate the presence of ice in the Sun's atmosphere. Other techniques, such as measuring the Sun's magnetic field, could also provide evidence of ice formation inside the Sun.