Impact of Current loading for voltage multiplier

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of current loading on a 4-stage dc-dc converter charge pump circuit. The output voltage is expected to be 5V, but only reaches 4.6V due to the effects of current loading. The output capacitor is briefly charged by the rectified DC and then discharges into the load, causing ripple. The solution is to use larger capacitors to reduce the ripple.
shaikss
Hi,

Can you please let me the impact of current loading for the attached circuit?
The attached circuit is a 4-stage dc-dc converter- charge pump.
When I give an input voltage of 1V, the output voltage is around 4.6 V using cadence simulations. The expected output voltage is 5V.
I am able to understand and see the increase in the output voltage from stage to stage.
But I am unable to understand the impact the current loading.

I have attached the circuit and the plots which I got.

Can you please let me know the effects of current loading of the above circuit?

Attachments

• image.JPG
    image.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 494
  • graphs.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 212
Engineering news on Phys.org
This happens with most or all capacitor filter systems.

The output capacitor is only charged briefly by the rectified DC, and during the rest of the cycle, the capacitor discharges into the load. This causes "ripple" on the output. This is a DC output that has a varying component on top of it.

So, what you measure is the average value of the DC output, plus ripple.

Ths solution is to use larger capacitors.

1. What is a voltage multiplier?

A voltage multiplier is an electronic circuit that converts a low voltage into a higher voltage. It is commonly used in power supplies and can generate output voltages that are several times higher than the input voltage.

2. How does current loading affect a voltage multiplier?

Current loading refers to the amount of current drawn from the output of a voltage multiplier. When there is a high current load, the output voltage of the multiplier can drop significantly. This is because the components in the multiplier are not able to supply enough current to meet the demand.

3. What is the impact of a high current load on a voltage multiplier?

A high current load can cause a voltage multiplier to operate outside of its design parameters, which can lead to a decrease in efficiency and an increase in heat dissipation. In extreme cases, the multiplier may even fail to produce the desired output voltage.

4. How can the impact of current loading be minimized in a voltage multiplier?

The impact of current loading can be minimized by using components that are designed to handle high current loads, such as high-power diodes and capacitors. Additionally, using multiple stages in the multiplier can distribute the current load and prevent it from affecting the output voltage.

5. Are there any advantages to using a voltage multiplier with a high current load?

In some cases, a high current load may be desirable in a voltage multiplier. For example, it can be used to create a high-voltage, low-current output for specialized applications. However, it is important to carefully consider the design and limitations of the multiplier to ensure safe and efficient operation.