Creating a Helix in Maya: A Simple Guide

• Thread starter echoSwe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helix
In summary, the speaker is investigating whether a logarithmic formula is necessary to describe a helix or if two phase shifted sine curves are enough. They have created a simple implementation in Excel but are having trouble plotting it in 3D. They are looking for a way to rotate the curves to get a better understanding of how they look. They have access to Maya 6 PLE and the .Net platform, but do not know how to use them for this purpose. They also mention their criteria for the angular twist being constant. They suggest looking for an animation program instead of programming a new one.
echoSwe
Hi!
I'm investigating whether you must use a logarithmic formula to describe a helix, or if it's enough to use two phase shifted sine curves... I've done a little excel document with a very siple implementation of two sine curves. One normal with the amplitude 23.8 and another one with the same amplitude as the first but phaseshifted such as: 23.9sin(1(x-90))+0. Where -90 is the phase shift.
My problem is that I can't plot it in 3d...
So the two are (degrees):
23.9sin(x) and
23.9sin(x-90).

I'd like to be able to rotate them such as you can do in e.g. Maya, to get a good feeling about how they look.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have Maya 6 PLE if that helps, which can do nurbs, and then if you find anything in C# or the .Net platform I also have the .Net framework to use, including DirectX 9.01 which can plot data. The only problem is that I don't know how.

The one criterea I have is that the angular twist is constant. Concider x,y,z on a paper lying on a desk. x, y are on the paper and z comming out from the paper, towards your face. The turn starts at (0, 1, 0) and finishes at (1, 0, 190) in meters. The angular turn per meter is constant. The formulas above are my first thoughts, and I would need to have a frequency of 90/190 = 0.47 in order to extend 1/4 cycle to 190 meters (the x-axis on the graph).

Do you all understand? :smile: Hope so.

//Henke

Attachments

• try1SinCurves.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 277
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would look for an animation program on the internet rather than programming a new one.

1. How do I create a helix in Maya?

To create a helix in Maya, first select the "Create" menu and then choose "NURBS Primitives". From there, select the "Helix" option and use the manipulator tool to adjust the parameters and customize the helix to your desired shape and size.

2. What are the parameters that I can adjust when creating a helix in Maya?

The parameters that you can adjust when creating a helix in Maya include the radius, height, turns, and twist. You can also choose between a linear or spiral shape for your helix.

3. Can I animate a helix in Maya?

Yes, you can animate a helix in Maya by adjusting its parameters over time using keyframes. This allows you to create dynamic and visually interesting helix animations for your projects.

4. How can I add texture to a helix in Maya?

To add texture to a helix in Maya, you can use the "Assign New Material" option in the attribute editor. From there, you can choose from various textures and maps to apply to your helix and customize the appearance further.

5. Is creating a helix in Maya difficult for beginners?

While creating a helix in Maya may seem daunting at first, with some practice and experimentation, it can be a simple and fun process for beginners. There are also many tutorials and resources available online to help you master the technique.