Physics Career vs Medical Career

In summary, the speaker has been studying biochemistry but recently took a calculus course and found a love for mathematics. They also enjoy chemistry, specifically how physics impacts it. They originally planned to go to medical school, but are now unsure due to their newfound interests. They seek advice from others and are encouraged to consider their passion for helping patients before pursuing medical school. The speaker also mentions their own experience as an EMT and enjoying their patient interactions. Ultimately, it is suggested that they prioritize their passion for helping patients over their interests in other fields.
biochem850
Hey guys!

I've been a biochem major for a little while but I recently took a calculus course and received an 89 and I found that although mathematics may seem a little tedious, I truly love it. In addition, I really like chemistry but mainly the the manners in which physics impacts chemistry (e.g. black body experiments, atomic orbitals, etc). I entered college truly believing that I wanted to go to medical school, and I still do, but it seems I'm at a crossroads.

Does anyone have advice to offer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Going to medical school is a great goal, but IMO it should be because you enjoy patient (Pt) contacts. Have you had an opportunity to volunteer in a medical setting? Or have you had good contacts in first aid situations where you felt like you made a positive difference for someone who needed medical help?

My full-time day job is in engineering, but I got my EMT cert 5 years ago and really enjoy my Pt contacts, even with difficult Pts. If your desire to go to medical school is not based on wanting to help Pts, I would say that pursuing your newfound technical passions would be the best for you. :smile:

What is the difference between a career in physics and a career in medicine?

A career in physics typically involves studying the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, while a career in medicine involves applying scientific knowledge and techniques to diagnose and treat illnesses and injuries in humans.

What are the educational requirements for a career in physics compared to a career in medicine?

A career in physics typically requires a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a graduate degree in physics. A career in medicine typically requires a bachelor's degree in a pre-medical field, followed by a medical degree and residency training.

What are the job opportunities in physics compared to medicine?

Both physics and medicine offer a wide range of job opportunities. In physics, one can work in research, teaching, or in industries such as aerospace, technology, and energy. In medicine, one can work as a physician, surgeon, researcher, or in various healthcare settings.

What are the potential salaries for a career in physics vs a career in medicine?

The salaries for both careers can vary greatly depending on the specific job, location, and experience. Generally, physicians tend to have higher salaries, with the median salary in the US being around $208,000 per year. Physicists have a median salary of around $125,000 per year.

How do the work environments differ for physics and medicine?

The work environments for physics and medicine can vary significantly. Physicists may work in laboratories, universities, or in industrial settings, while physicians typically work in hospitals or clinics. However, both careers require collaboration and teamwork, as well as a strong emphasis on research and ongoing learning.