Modelling Ablation From Solar Flux

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rate of ablation for a certain material due to increasing radiation flux from the sun. The person is looking for guidance and resources to start their modeling for a solar sail structure. Factors such as solar proton and radiative flux, as well as temperature, need to be considered in the modeling process. It is also mentioned that solar sails are typically used for low thrust travel away from the sun, rather than falling toward it.
robousy
Hey Folks,

I'm working on a new problem in a field I don't have much experience in at all and looking for some high level guidance to get me started.

For a certain material I want to calculate how much that material ablates in the presence of steadily increasing radiation flux from the sun.

It's for some modelling I'm doing for a solar sail type structure that would initially fall toward the sun, hence experience a time dependent solar flux intensity.

Are there any models, papers or keywords anyone can shoot my way to get me started?

Thanks,

Rich

Engineering news on Phys.org
What material? One would have different rates of 'ablation' for Li, Al or W.

There are three factors, the solar proton (or particle) flux, the radiative flux (photons) and the temperature of the material. One then needs to model the interaction of the radiation with the surface atoms at the temperature.

I doubt solar sails would 'fall' toward the sun as the radiation pressure would increase as the sail approached the sun. Solar sails have been envisioned as low thrust methods of traveling away from the Earth and sun - into the outer solar system.

What is "Modelling Ablation From Solar Flux"?

"Modelling Ablation From Solar Flux" refers to the process of using mathematical and computational models to predict the impact of solar radiation on the Earth's atmosphere and surface. This includes understanding and forecasting the effects of solar flares, coronal mass ejections, and other solar events on our planet.

What factors are considered in modelling ablation from solar flux?

In modelling ablation from solar flux, factors such as the Earth's magnetic field, atmospheric composition, and solar activity are taken into account. Other important variables include the strength and direction of the solar wind, the amount of ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface, and the density of the Earth's upper atmosphere.

Why is modelling ablation from solar flux important?

Modelling ablation from solar flux is important for understanding the impact of solar activity on our planet. It can help us predict and prepare for potential disruptions to communication and navigation systems, as well as potential hazards to astronauts and satellites in space. It also provides valuable insights into the Earth's climate and atmospheric processes.

What methods are used in modelling ablation from solar flux?

There are various methods used in modelling ablation from solar flux, including numerical simulations, statistical analysis, and data assimilation techniques. These methods involve using data from satellites, ground-based observations, and theoretical models to create a comprehensive understanding of the interactions between the Sun and the Earth's atmosphere.

What are the limitations of modelling ablation from solar flux?

While modelling ablation from solar flux is a valuable tool, it is not without limitations. The accuracy of predictions can be affected by uncertainties in data and the complexity of the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, unexpected events or changes in solar activity can also impact the accuracy of models. Therefore, constant validation and improvement of models are necessary to increase their reliability.