Coordinate charts and open sets

In summary, Sean Carroll's lecture notes on General Relativity explain the need for multiple coordinate charts in certain cases, such as the circle, where the image of the coordinate system is not open. However, the cylinder can be represented by a single coordinate chart by mapping cylindrical polars onto an annulus in the Euclidean plane. Although this annular section has a boundary, it is still a valid chart as long as the image of the map has no boundary or the boundary maps back to infinity in the original set. This is because any finite z maps to a point within the annulus and not on its boundary. This is explained in more detail in the last paragraph, which is confirmed to be correct.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have a (probably trivial) question about coordinate charts. I've been studying Sean Carroll's lecture notes on General Relativity. I'm on my second re-read and I'm trying to make sure I understand the basics properly. I hope the terminology is correct - this is my first use.

Carroll cites the circle as an example of multiple charts being necessary. The obvious coordinate system using the angular co-ordinate has an image in R1 bounded by 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex], and you need to use one of those to describe the complete circle. The image is therefore not open, so you need multiple charts. Fair enough.

He then mentions that the cylinder can be represented by a single co-ordinate chart. I've seen answers to this on this on this very forum, such as mapping cylindrical polars [itex](z,\theta)[/itex] on to an annulus in the Euclidean plane, using the same angular coordinate and something like [itex]z=\tan(r)[/itex], with the boundary being the circles defined by [itex]r=\pi/2, 3\pi/2[/itex]. Again, fair enough.

But this annular section of the plane has a boundary, and r ranges up to it. I eventually concluded that this is fine because you can only reach the boundary as [itex]z\rightarrow\pm\infty[/itex], so any finite z maps to a point that is within the annulus not on its boundary.

Is that last paragraph correct? As long as the image of the map has no boundary (like the trivial case of Cartesian coordinates on a Euclidean plane), or the boundary maps back to infinity in the original set, it's a valid chart? (Subject, of course, to the other conditions on the map that I haven't mentioned.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
He then mentions that the cylinder can be represented by a single co-ordinate chart. I've seen answers to this on this on this very forum, such as mapping cylindrical polars [itex](z,\theta)[/itex] on to an annulus in the Euclidean plane, using the same angular coordinate and something like [itex]z=\tan(r)[/itex], with the boundary being the circles defined by [itex]r=\pi/2, 3\pi/2[/itex]. Again, fair enough.

But this annular section of the plane has a boundary, and r ranges up to it. I eventually concluded that this is fine because you can only reach the boundary as [itex]z\rightarrow\pm\infty[/itex], so any finite z maps to a point that is within the annulus not on its boundary.

Is that last paragraph correct?

Yes. The image of the cylinder is [itex]\{x \in \mathbb{R}^2 : \frac\pi2 < \|x\| < \frac{3\pi}2 \}[/itex], which is open as the inequalities are strict.

Thank you! More dumb questions to follow, I'm sure.

1. What is a coordinate chart?

A coordinate chart is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between points on a manifold and their corresponding coordinates in a coordinate system. It allows for the representation of geometric shapes and their transformations in a mathematical way.

2. How does a coordinate chart work?

A coordinate chart works by assigning a set of coordinates to each point on a manifold. These coordinates can then be used to define the position and orientation of geometric shapes on the manifold. The chart also allows for the calculation of distances, angles, and other geometric properties.

3. What is an open set in relation to coordinate charts?

An open set is a subset of a manifold that does not contain its boundary points. In the context of coordinate charts, an open set is a region on the manifold that can be mapped onto an open set in the coordinate system. This allows for the smooth transition and representation of the manifold in the coordinate system.

4. How are coordinate charts used in geometry?

Coordinate charts are used in geometry to represent and analyze geometric objects such as curves, surfaces, and higher-dimensional shapes. They also allow for the manipulation and transformation of these objects using mathematical operations. Coordinate charts are essential in various mathematical fields, including differential geometry and topology.

5. What are the benefits of using coordinate charts?

Coordinate charts have several benefits, such as providing a systematic way to describe and analyze geometric objects, allowing for the representation of higher-dimensional shapes, and simplifying complex geometric problems. They also facilitate the use of mathematical tools, such as calculus and linear algebra, to solve geometry problems and make predictions about geometric objects.