Visualizing Mass Acceleration to Speed of Light: Is E=mc^2?

• Thread starter bizzder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, the visualization described in the article is a way to represent the equation E=mc^2 more intuitively. It is related to the concept of relativistic mass.
bizzder
A long time ago I visualized mass accelerated to the speed of light(or theoretical maximum to this speed) as an upside-down parabola touching the y=0 line.

Now, today I thought of the following:

if you would represent a certain parabola(equation according to ^2 of the mass/energy ratio required) in 3d (not a cone) (maximum at y=0), and place the surface of a circle ∏r^2 within that '3d parabola' (horizontally) and move this circle upward towards the y=0, until ∏r^2 'within' the 3d parabola reaches y=0 ( so, ∏r^2) 'within' the 3d parabola = 0 = maximum acceleration to the point of black hole formation = 'point of black hole maximum mass' = speed of light limit ).

And, ∏r^2 'within' 3d parabola moves downward so that ∏r^2 'within' 3d parabola = infinite = no mass = no acceleration (according to E=m(c)^2)

Is it so that these '2 infinite limits'(infinite energy required and infinite ∏r^2) define the E? so that the above explanation is equal to M(c)^2? If so, what would the formula be for this 'system? (non simplified, that is all possible positions of 'horizontal ∏r^2 within 3d parabola' equation)

I was intrigued when I read about Einsteins discovery that gravity is equal to acceleration (with equal consequences), so after some thinking I came up with the story above. Is it flawed?? as you can see, my math skills are VERY basic, but I think it should be simple to understand with some visualization.

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't follow what you were saying ... so I suggest that _you_ provide the visualization.

I'm not even sure what your point is!

My point is that this visualization is a kind of intuitive approach to E=mc^2.

Just like a sine wave can be represented in 3d. (like a spring stretched out, from the side it will look like a sine wave). By using trigonometry within this structure, it is easier/more intuitive doing sine calculations.

Similarly, I believe, E=mc^2 can be explained more intuitively with the explanation above, But I only have basic college math skills, so I suck at explaining it.

E=mc^2 isn't even the complete equation ... it is the special case of a mass at rest. If it is moving you need

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2

You might this "Minute Physics" video:

Last edited by a moderator:
How come is it a 'special case'? Isn't E=mc^2 simply the acceleration and kinetic energy part taken out of E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2? It doesn't really change my question

Last edited:
Nope. For clarification, watch the video.

The video only confuses things; The core issue is relativistic E=mc^2. Great video for unique hits (there's more to e=mc^2 guys!) but they don't seem to get it themselves.

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 is about mass @ certain speed, which adds extra mass into the equation that is arbitrary, it's a side track not important to the core E=mc^2. This must be about mass-issues of things like photons (mass or no mass) In that case, to clarify things, E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 could be needed.

My question was about the interrelated-ness of energy/mass, not how it should be applied to objects.

1. What is the meaning of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. It states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

2. How does mass acceleration relate to the speed of light?

Mass acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's speed changes over time. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires more energy to accelerate. This relationship is described by the equation E=mc^2.

3. Can mass be converted directly into energy?

Yes, according to E=mc^2, mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This has been demonstrated through nuclear reactions, where a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy.

4. How is E=mc^2 used in modern technology?

E=mc^2 has significant implications in nuclear power and weapons, as well as in the development of nuclear reactors and nuclear medicine. It also plays a role in the development of particle accelerators and understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Is E=mc^2 applicable to all objects?

Yes, E=mc^2 is a fundamental law of nature and applies to all objects. However, the effects of E=mc^2 are most noticeable at extremely high speeds or in situations involving nuclear reactions.